Onboard pre amp recommendations?

Hello, totally new, mid life crisis bass player. I picked up a Squire Contemporary active bass back in December. While doing the beginner to badass lessons today. My guitar started to squeal, then no output. So cup half full, I get to buy new electronics and upgrade. Clueless what to get so looking for advice, and recommendations.

I did change the battery (2x). Tested cord etc. Read a few articles and opened up the control panel. Checked all connections and looked for bad solder joints. (Retired last summer after 24 years active duty Electronics technician, so decent with electronics). Closest fender repair center is 6 hours away, and too late to return.

1 Like

This is the symptom of low to dead battery. I’m surprised it’s not working. Since you are a retired electrician I’m not gonna ask if the battery installed properly :joy:.

Well if you are not a stranger to soldering then you have so many good choices. Personally I like the Aguilar OBP 2 running 18v. It’s not louder or hotter but more ceilings. Assuming you are on a contemporary Jazz. Another great option is to get a set of EMG set. It already comes with solderless installation and they sound super awesome.

I’m an EMG fanboi so if you have questions about them just ask away.

1 Like

I replaced the pre-amp in a Schecter Stealth-4 with a unit from Audere (https://www.audereaudio.com/) and I’m very happy with it. I shielded the cavity with copper tape while I was in there and it is dead quiet, too!

Good luck and let us know what you do!

2 Likes

Today, while checking for bad solder joints, shorts etc. I have discovered 9v at the output jack, I assume that is bad. It was a mess in the control cavity so unsoldered the pickups, jacks, and few other wires. Cleaned, untangled and organized the wiring and she works. I did order copper foil, and still want to upgrade. I will be doing some more research, but that Aguilar obp-3 seems like a great suggestion. Appreciate the advice.

2 Likes