Only one SET OF stringS - time to choose

Toss up between GHS Bass Boomers and D’Addario EXL. They’re both awesome in their own way.

4 Likes

Your flats when I see them. :eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

LaBella Deep Talkin’ Flats - no question.

If I had to only pick rounds, its the GHS Boomers fo sho.

6 Likes

GHS Precision Flats. All day, every day.

4 Likes

That rug really ties in those strings together.

6 Likes

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me @John_E: for flats I also choose LaBella Deep Talkin` Bass.

3 Likes

Actually the EXL’s are really good, I like them a lot, they might be my second favorite string behind the NYXL.

Yes, they are inexpensive and come on many basses stock; I also think they are one of the best choices for rounds for under $40.

2 Likes

Are you talking about EXL strings? They sell online for right at or under 20 bucks. NYXL sell for under $30.

1 Like

Yeah. NYXL’s are about $40 here. I think EXL’s are basically the second best rounds in that price range (though NYXL are much better).

1 Like

Me too, I’ve seen them get some hate on the forum sometimes, but I also like the EB’s because:

• under $20
  • I think they sound good
  • I like the orange foil packaging (I’ll admit it, I like orange stuff)
  • I use slinkys on my guitars (green pkg)

I haven’t tried anything else though, so don’t really know

2 Likes

I’ve got some NYXLs waiting to go on my main bass. I’ve used EXLs in the past on my other basses and I like them.

Work has eaten up a lot of my time, so I haven’t had a chance to throw on a set of TI Jazz Rounds I’ve got waiting. Those TI strings are lighter gauge and will require a setup.

I’ve got some S.I.T. Foundations strings on another bass and they feel and sound great. They’re very smooth-feeling, low-noise under the fingers for rounds. The smoothest rounds I’ve played.

I gotta find time to do a proper shootout on all of these.

3 Likes

whatever is in-stock at the shops

2 Likes

D’Addario EXL165. Haven’t tried the NYXLs yet, but I’m sure I’d like them too.

5 Likes

The EXL’s really are great strings. The NYXL’s are basically EXLs that last a bit longer and stay in tune better. The EXLs are not bad there but the NYXL’s are just rock steady. Both sound and feel great.

2 Likes

Ok with all the rave about EXLs, you guys have twisted my arm to give them another try. I have a set laying around. Let me slap them on. I better like them!!! :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :yum:

4 Likes

I think you will like them if you are using EB’s now. They are a little bit smoother, and generate less string noise if you keep any light contact with the strings when moving around the neck.

3 Likes

Chromes.

1 Like

Ones that hasn’t been mentioned are Fender 7250’s, which come stock with Fender basses. They feel a bit rough under the fingers at 1st, but I remember them having a good sound. I remember reading somewhere they are made for Fender by D’Addario.

4 Likes

Well that idea was very short lived. LOL
I ran my fingers on the EXLs and nope, Slinky’s feel moe better to me.

1 Like

The 7250s are some of my favorite strings.

This is a rough one for me. I really like those 7250s and had standardized on them on all my basses. But then I found the SIT Foundations, and used those on a few basses, and really dug them. They’re awesome on my B50. On my Osiris, though, I’m running Dunlop Super Brights… normally I’m not a fan of the Super Brights, but I noticed that’s what the Osiris comes with from Kiesel, so I wanted to give them a shot. And they do sound really nice on the Osiris.

Ultimately, if I could only have one set of strings, I think I’d have to go with the 7250s.

And to continue down the pedantry of this thread, I’m assuming you mean one make and model of strings that can be replaced as needed when they wear out, and not one literal set of strings to last until you die. :slight_smile:

3 Likes