Only one SET OF stringS - time to choose

I find the stock Fender strings to be surprisingly good. I’m not surprised they are D’Addario, they have that feel to them.

4 Likes

Absolutely. S.I.T. strings are smooth-feeling and great sounding. And they Stay In Tune. Go figure. :wink:

3 Likes

I use d’addario EXL because that’s what I use on guitars since at least 15 years. I might try NYXL next time. Also I’ve had a very good surprise with Dunlop strings on my LTD guitar lately, I could search if they make equivalent strings for bass. Also I find that GHS strings are really good too.

4 Likes

Yes, i typed that badly. It is the exl’s. Green package. If i hadda choose a backup in a pinch, it world be the ghs boomers. Because i love me some redheads.

3 Likes

Really? For me, it’s 100% the other way around. Slinky’s ars just too rough for my delicate fingers :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:I

5 Likes

I have plans to put flats on the p bass soon so I ended up swapping them anyways. Once on the bass, they don’t feel that rough anymore, but for me the slinky’s are a bit smoother. But the EXLs have a nice sound.

3 Likes

I agree. Slinkys are some rough rounds.

5 Likes

I have a set of Slinky flats, and even THOSE feel rough!

7 Likes

I’m not a huge fan of Ernie Ball strings. They aren’t bad at all, but D’Addario feel much better to me.

5 Likes

Ernie ball to me arent Slinky they are stinky. Honestly those have intense metallic sound after a while.

Honestly I like Fenders strings, they add more growl to mids than others.

But just recently I got GHS Boomers Flea signature, and I say Im impressed how they sound on Ray.

Also guys try MarkBass flats, to me they are really soft. But also Fenders arent rough to me as most of you guys say, so what do I know.

5 Likes

Oh well, after 6 years living in Germany I’ve learned to tolerate such madness :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I don’t like EB or Fender; too rough

I don’t particularly care for tapes, but of them I like Black Beauties for tone

For signature strings I like Steve Harris for flats and Billy Sheehan for rounds. They are so gorgeous to play and hear.

For flats and rounds where I don’t want to mess with the nut

I like Rotosound 77 for flats. The have good brightness yet still retain the warmth. Sound really good paired with Dimarzio Model P

For rounds I like Stringjoy. They sound good, feel good, stay in tune, and you can get any gauge your heart desires. And are $30 so not expensive or cheap.

I will be swapping the pups on my stream to make it a double reverse P. Now to choose Roto flats or Stringjoy rounds. Not sure which way to go

2 Likes

You were only allowed to choose one set, @Wombat-metal :rofl:

4 Likes

I did. One set for each of the needs.

2 Likes

Currently D’Addario EXLs.

Whatever Fender puts on their basses, no thank you.

2 Likes

Those are apparently also made by D’Addario :rofl:

I do prefer EXL’s or NYXL’s over the stock Fenders though, but tbh I was pleasantly surprised.

From what I’ve read, Fender-branded strings are noticeably different from D’Addario stock strings because, while they’re made by D’Addario, they are made to Fender’s specs. So D’s aren’t like F’s, after all.

1 Like

Fender: We want you to make our strings.
D’Addario: Cool! Would you like to use one of our XL lines?
Fender: We only have $3.
D’Addario:: Ok then.

5 Likes

Noticeably different? I think that’s what Fender wanted/went for.

I, personally, don’t know, since I’ve never tried Fender strings. Seemed counter-Inuitive, somehow. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

They actually feel fine to me. Better than EB Slinkys anyway.

2 Likes