Only one SET OF stringS - time to choose

Yeah, Slinkys are OK-ish to me. Not stellar. The SIT rounds I have on one bass are far smoother-feeling than Slinkys or even D’Addarios. Really nice strings.

I tried Fender roundwounds once, and they were OK. Smoother than EB Slinky’s, but rougher than D’Addario EXLs.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s how I would describe them too. Not bad at all, not great, but definitely perfectly playable.

1 Like

Question regarding strings - I’m seeing a lot of D’Addario love here.

On two basses I’ve purchased, they’ve come with “D’Addarios” without specifying which line. I’ve found the included strings both significantly noisier and rougher than EB Slinky’s.

Relative roughness and noisiness seem fairly objective to me but it looks like the consensus of folks is that the EBs are worse off in both categories.

So my question is, are these stock strings significantly different from the EXL/NEXL everyone is talking about or are my ears and fingers just different?

If not specified, it may be a lower cost string and not comparible to any other in their line, would be my guess. If they are not specifying a string, then they don’t really want to call attention to it other than direct the user to a brand.

If they call out a model, then they want you to know what you are playing in case you like it or think it belongs on that bass.

Marketeers are very predictable.

2 Likes

As much as I want to say Ernie Ball Cobalt rounds (they sound so good… feel so smooth…)…

But I have to go with Stringjoy. I get sets in the gauges I want for any tuning I want, for any scale length I want.

(GHS Boomers are great, too, as far as mainstream strings go)

1 Like

I’m still undecided on what strings to use on my air guitar. Decisions, decisions…

5 Likes

I hear that air from the mountains is very clear, but the air from Beijing is warmer/fuller due to all the pollution. The desert is a bit of a combination string, while Los Angeles is very warm and thick.

5 Likes

Whatever your needs here, I am sure Chibson has you covered.

1 Like

I like the ones from Kiss…

4 Likes

This guy sells “Devine Air Guitar” strings in different gauges! :laughing:

2 Likes

Ha, this ia great! For a second I thought that Scott of SBL put out his own string line. It would be appropriate too, air bass strings full of hot air.

4 Likes

The strings with the most sustain, they never stop talkin

5 Likes

Yeah, but they’re really sensitive to a good setup. Otherwise you get an incessant buzz.

3 Likes

One thing to be aware of in these days of Covid is the strings a guitar should come with us not necessarily what you get.

I bought a Sire which was supposed to come with D’addario, but they felt different when I played it and upon further inspection they were EB Slinky’s which I loathe. I contacted Sire who said D’addario had supply chain issues and couldn’t meet the demand, so some basses went out the door with EBs.

Nothing is simple these days

5 Likes

I like Stringjoy for rounds

2 Likes

Now THAT’s funny! :laughing:

2 Likes

Good point. @RoyB, do the strings on your basses have the familiar color-coded ball ends? If they don’t, they are most likely not D’Addario strings.

3 Likes

2 Likes

I read here that Fender strings are made by D’Addario. I guess that explains why those are color coded too. I wonder who memorizes the sequence by the color and not the thickness of the string.

2 Likes