Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Great news about your daughter @T_dub.

3 Likes

Great news wish her well @T_dub

2 Likes

Thanks all.

3 Likes

This will be a milestone in the rehabilitation process. It’ll be frustrating at times. Help her to keep her eyes on the prize… but also help her to set, and then work towards, realistic goals.

And doing B2B would help her to realise that there are alternative options to excel! Did you manage to get her interested?

6 Likes

Those are great news. I’m happy for you and your daughter.
I avoided the topic so far because I was afraid of another faux-pas but commenting on almost everything and leaving this out is probably the bigger faux-pas :wink:

Also great how far prostethics have come in the last decade or two.

6 Likes

Yes, I have gone thru Module one with her so far, when she was staying with her mom.
She has been in treatment for the past 5ish weeks, and there are no visitors of course due to Covid, so I have only seen her in person 3 times since then, at her Dr appointments.
This Friday she transfers from inpatient residential to out patient transitional housing, which means she is able to be checked out, so I can pick her up and bring her back.

Also, the Daisy Rock Daisy shaped bass I have for her, while being a very good, well made bass, it was a little awkward for her to play sitting the way she could when fresh out of the hospital, and is still not ideal to play sitting up, it is more of meant to be played standing up.

But now she can do that, plus, for when sitting, cuz she won’t be ready to stand for long periods for a while, as she builds strength and endurance and is used yo the new leg, I have the Ibanez Mikro for her to learn on.

We will most certainly review Module one at the very least, but she is very excited to get back to it. Every time we talk about it, and I ask her if she remembers what we were doing, she promptly says “Eat And Drink Grapes” (Thanks @JoshFossgreen). Lol

Thanks for all the positive sentiments and kind words.

9 Likes

The Mikro should be a good one to start out with, what with it being a smaller-scale bass. Once she acquires the fretting hand stretch and strength, she could always upgrade to a full scale if she fancies.

Wait until she starts to read sheet music, muttering “all cows eat grass” or “great big dragons fly around” under her breath. :wink:

5 Likes

Hah. I’ve always just remembered it as Ace-G, as if it was someone’s gangsta name or something.

2 Likes

German version:
Eine alte Dame ging.
(One old lady went)

but where did she go?

Guitar German Version:
Eine alte Dame ging Hering essen.
(One old lady went eating herring)

2 Likes

… huh? where’s the H string? I would’ve thought “Eine Alte Dame Ging Bratwurst Essen”…

2 Likes

We use H not B in our musical notation in German.

I don’t fu$#ing know why.

Edit:
Seems to have to do with print and the available symbols. By now a lot of published material uses a weird hybrid form of always using H and always using Bb for the flatted note. It’s weird.

2 Likes

Well, musical notation can be quite tricky :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

It wrecked my brain in the beginning. When I started the course I always was like c-d-e-f-g-a-h… wait? b? Oh English, right. By now it’s the other way around when reading German sources.

Also why do I have to say intervals in latin in my language? “third”, “fifth” is so much easier to remember than “Terz” and “Quinte”.

3 Likes

I’m still having trouble… most people use the French solmization system around here :joy:

3 Likes

Awesome!

3 Likes

Well, we use solfége in Portugal (dó ré mi fá sol lá si dó aka do re mi fa la ti do).

Try having your whole childhood music learning being attacked by new terms (we use mosty latin or italian and ofc portuguese) and letters (not even direct initials) instead of words. That’s a pain in the ass.

edit:
And although most people knows the anglo-saxon system and might write it down like “Cm” we still read as “Dó menor”

3 Likes

Her Daisy Rock is SS too, so she is already starting SS. The Mikro is just an easier body shape for her to play while sitting.

4 Likes