Oooooo imagine this on a guitar

My wife decided to take up a new hobby. Since she’ll never work again due to her brain damage, she’s got some time on her hands.

Today, she made this:

and this:

I think I’m gonna sand the Telecaster in preparation.
Problem: when it looks like this, I will have to hang it on the wall again, rather than on a stand…

11 Likes

I don’t see a problem in that sentence.
It could look really nice on a guitar. I am a fan of just grayscale so I like the top one better. As child I got send to something called “art school (for children)” and 99% of the time I painted with coal.
Do you know any details on the materials/paint used in the process of creating those pictures?

She has time on her hands and doesn’t play bass? Mh. Maybe I spend too much time in here :wink:

1 Like

I have ran out of wall space.

I like the top one best as well. The bottom one would be nice for a pick guard, I think.

She used acrylic paint and a lot of household items. These pics were made on canvas, but it seems to work equally well on wood.
The reason she doesn’t play bass (or guitar, which is what she did play) is that her brain condition precludes her from doing fairly complex stuff which involves strict timing; that makes her brain lock up. She has trouble forming sentences of average complexity when under pressure, so reading music, fretting a fretboard, plucking the right strings at the right time and judging the output is an endeavour way beyond her limitations. Each of the individual tasks is perfectly doable given enough time; it’s combining these efforts that makes her lock up.

5 Likes

Ufff… Now I feel bad :frowning: Sorry.
Glad she found something that she can do!

Mhhh. I still have a palette of acryl paint lying around from “Hey - let’s do Bob Ross!” times. I’ll keep in mind that I could use them for custom builds. Thanks :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@peterhuppertz those are great, what are the sizes Peter?

3 Likes

These two are 20x20 (in centimeters, so approx 8x8 in inches for those who are metrically challenged).

3 Likes

You shouldn’t; it helps nobody. It is what it is.

< mock alert >
On top of that, you are the guy who expects everybody to read everything, so I was assuming you knew about this; I’ve been writing about it elsewhere. :stuck_out_tongue:
< /mock alert >

If this takes off and holds her interest, I’ll be a happy bunny. And a proud bunny. If the Telecaster experiment works out, I’m of half a mind to hand her the Cort.

6 Likes

Okay, probably deserved that one :wink: I’m not even gonna try to explain myself. That’ll make it worse… probably.

Ah! So that’s the reason. I was about to ask “why a guitar?” and then though it doesn’t matter anway.

3 Likes

Hi @peterhuppertz,
They look amazing, thanks for sharing.
Cheers brian

4 Likes

@peterhuppertz
They’re bloody awesome mate!

6 Likes

@peterhuppertz I think they both just awesome, I did look into the black more, If that were on a guitar body. Ouch! The second one would look amazing as a feature on an acoustic with a matching smaller piece on the headstock.
If you have a spare bass I would let her loose on it. It could then hang anywhere in your home as a true art piece.
Avery talented Lassie indeed, please pass on my compliments.
Jamie
:guitar: :slightly_smiling_face: :guitar:

5 Likes

@peterhuppertz Hi Peter that’s really great art, thank you for sharing. Glad your wife has found an outlet for her creativity.
I would love the grey metallic piece on the pick guard of this bass

7 Likes

@Mark_UK that would be the dog’s
Jamie
:guitar: :slightly_smiling_face: :guitar:

4 Likes

When I finish B2B, and have earned my bass upgrade, if Peter wants to start a mail order business sideline, I’ll gladly post him a pick guard for a unique one of a kind art work makeover!

6 Likes

The mail order business would be my wife’s. She may have brain damage, but she’s not stupid :grin:

She only just picked this up, so she wants to get some more experience (and try some different acrylic paint formulas, varnishes and other stuff) to build confidence. The Telecaster is probably gonna be the first instrument she’ll practice on.

For instance, the “air bubbles” (fairly large in the monochrome sample, and very fine in the coloured one) are done by mixing silicone spray with the paint, and then stirring. She wants to get consistency in that.

She is currently using very cheap acrylic paint to practice, but if she would do commissioned work, she’ll use higher quality acrylic. The paint she’s currently using has a tendency to fade under light. Normally, the varnish should make sure that this doesn’t happen too soon, but she won’t be pushing her luck.

6 Likes

Sorry Peter no offence meant, just referring to the fact it’s you on this group.
It really would be a great idea - we all love our bass’s and having something really custom would be great.
I would imagine ‘hardening’ the finish with varnish or suitable lacquer would be the key, especially for something like a pick guard.
Cheers.

5 Likes

None taken! And yes, a layer of varnish is essential, even if only to prevent colour fading!

4 Likes

One reason for this is because it would contribute to her feeling of self-appreciation… which is currently in too low supply.

6 Likes

@Mark_UK @peterhuppertz
You both have me looking out templates :rofl:

4 Likes

Is this that paint pouring trick @peterhuppertz ?

Somebody did that trick on a StingRay pickguard because they did not like White on White. It was awesome.

Those will make great bass art and pickguard art.

Very happy your wife found something she likes.

And since we were sharing stories a while back, your wife, my daughter, I have a good bit of info about her.

She took her first steps on her temp prosthetic yesterday. It was a very happy moment.

11 Likes