Oops!

Was doing some cleaning yesterday and caught my middle plucking finger on a carpet strip tack. I didn’t play yesterday because it was taped up. I was hoping the flap of skin would reattach and it seems like it did, but I don’t want to risk splitting it open by playing “naked” with it. I taped up again and tired to play this afternoon and it isn’t working so well. When I pluck with that finger the notes are coming out really soft. I guess there isn’t enough grip on the tape to pull the string hard enough. Funny how something so minor has made it really hard and not so much fun to play.

I guess I will work on my “hammer ons” until it heals.

4 Likes

ouch !!!

3 Likes

Perfect time to learn to play with a pick :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Took the words right out of my mouth :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Free medical advice (please don’t sue me)… That flap of skin isn’t worth keeping. Your finger is more prone to getting infected with it there because it traps bacteria inside. With it removed you can keep the wound cleaned.

4 Likes

My thoughts as well

3 Likes

The flap actually dried up and fell off when I was letting the air get to the cut. Such a minor little thing and it is really messing me up. I’m trying the pick but I’m struggling a bit with it. I was muting with my plucking hand and with a pick I need to figure out a new way to mute strings.

3 Likes

Learning to play with a pick is a nice bit to add to your arsenal of bass talents. Yes, it does create some new muting challenges, but those are things that are good to learn. Your finger injury is a perfect excuse to give the pick a go.

2 Likes