Open Pore Finish on Cort Basses

Hi all,
I set my eyes on a Cort Artisan series bass, which comes with an “open pore” finish. I read online what it is, but I haven’t found a clear answer to my most important question, so I was hoping that you guys could help.
How should I maintain such a bass? If it’s open pore (and I take this expression literally) does that mean the wood is more susceptible to atmospheric agents like temperature and humidity? And would I need a humidity regulated case to store it away?

1 Like

Paging @Barney

2 Likes

I doubt that it would be much difference just different an Aesthetic from my little experience with finishing the body open pore just drink up more paint. More importantly experience player like Cort would not sell you anything that would be a warranty issues.

1 Like

It’s just that they don’t use a sealer to fill the small pores in the wood. The finish is not smooth and glossy but that’s all. The open pore finish allows for cheaper instruments. It looks a bit more raw but it can look pretty good in my opinion.

3 Likes

Does the absence of a sealer make the bass wood weaker on humidity and temperature than a bass with a closed pore finish?

1 Like

I don’t think so. I assumed that you are talking about natural finish, they’d oiled it up and that’s the coat, or buff it to shine, either way you are good to go. It should come with some kind of care instruction but every couple of years or so you can just apply the oil to keep it sealed.

I sanded down a Squier precision body and left it raw hanging on my patio for about 7-8 months with the rain and heat nothing happened to it as far as I could tell.

2 Likes

Yeah, there is still a top coat, the wood is not left raw at all. This is just a simplified finish process.

1 Like

Mayones offers an open-pore option on their Eye Poplar topwoods they call “Raw.”

All it means is that the natural pores are left without filler. Other than that, bodies receive either a satine or glossy finish, including the insides of the pores.

Incidentally, the Raw bodies are reportedly lighter in weight than the filled versions.

Here’s a pic of a Mayones Raw Eye Poplar topwood body:

4 Likes

Sexy. Purple and binding oh man! I :purple_heart: purple, lol.

4 Likes

This is my purple, :joy:

7 Likes

I wouldn’t say I’m into purple in general, but I keep seeing purple instruments that are so gorgeous I want them.

1 Like

Love purple thanks to @Koldunya

2 Likes

I fully admit to being in to purple and most any other variant of blue. My three favorite colors are amethyst, indigo, and midnight blue.

1 Like

It’s just a cosmetic effect some will like because it allows for more nuance in the finish. As others have posted the wood still has a top coat. I had a friend who bought an Ibanez 335 type guitar with a similar finish. It gave it a more “weathered look”. No special care needed. All a matter of personal preference.

2 Likes

Man you’re like a rockstar :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

I have an Ibanez with such a neck.
I asked the sales guy the same question, if I would have to keep any special care in mind for that neck. He told me not really, but recommended to wipe the neck with a bit of Dunlop 65 guitar cleaner from time to time, that is what they are doing for all their instruments.

Did as he told, have the bass 2 years now, everything is still fine. But … I don’t play as much as I’d like … ;(

What I really like about that neck is that you can feel the grain a bit while playing, which I really like.

2 Likes