Original Distortion pedal sounds/circuits and their clones

You don’t need bass specific pedals, what you want as alternative is DI with another parallel output which is usually labeled as “amp” or “thru” or “link” and DAI with 2 inputs. Take a look at this cheap Behringer DI:

You connect your bass to the input and connect output of DI to channel 1 of your DAI. Then you connect “link” to the input of your pedal chain and output of that into channel 2 of your DAI. This will enable you to record both channels simultaneously and you can mix direct signal with processed one to your taste inside your DAW. Most importantly you will retain all low end that pedals usually high pass.

Not sure exactly what you mean, I described above the process I use when I need to record processed signal so I hope I answered your question.

2 Likes

That was exactly what I wanted to know, thanks! :smiley:

2 Likes

And here’s the other video I was thinking of on this topic . . .

3 Likes

Watched that earlier. Good stuff. Wondering why he chose to actively leave out the Tube Screamer.

So, when manufacturers make new pedals in today’s age, do they tell you what it’s based from? Or do people have keen ears and can tell the sound? He clearly tells you what each of the JHS pedals is trying to emulate, but don’t know if others do too.

1 Like

Some things get an entire show. I seem to remember him covering this somewhere. That history video also has a part 2.

1 Like

He will dedicate episodes to running through a set of clones of a particular circuit.

1 Like

Another good option is a line selector or other blending splitter. But yeah a clean channel early on is simple and works too.

I had one on my board but never ended up using it really because all my pedals had their own blend functions.

1 Like