Original Distortion pedal sounds/circuits and their clones

Just curious on which are the big Overdrive/Distortion/Fuzz pedals that sparked a sea of clones. I always seem to see consistent ones such as RAT, Tube Screamer, Big Muff, Klon and a few others that escape me.

Then there’s the Mosfet, Germanium talks. So, to those with the insight. Which are some of the originals, and what famous clones are there?

2 Likes

JHS pedals on YouTube goes into this extensively in his videos. He will do entire episodes on a selection of clones and their history.

6 Likes

He’s a great channel to follow.

1 Like

Gonna need to check that out. Thanks!

2 Likes

It’s not just distortion either. There’s classics for all effects that have sprouted innumerable clones (Boss OC-2, EHX Clone Theory, MXR Dynacomp, etc)

2 Likes

If any body has heard of a Rat clone for bass, I would like to hear about it.

Oh, No doubt. Seen plenty of references to pedals like Leslie chorus and others. At this point, anything thats put out will get a clone (looking at you Behringer… :joy:).

1 Like

Source Audio has a “Bass El Raton” engine in their drive pedals. Not sure how it compares.

1 Like

Here’s a video of the Source Audio Aftershock (With the RAT engine) compared to the MXR M85.

3 Likes

Man, the Aftershock is such an awesome pedal for the price. So many options.

3 Likes

Source Audio pedals aren’t cheap but you get a lot of value out of them. I got the C4 and I found a bunch of clone presets based on originals (Moog, OC-2, Bitcrusher, etc.). That Aftershock sounds killer and can do some amazing fuzz too.

The new Ultrawave can also do distortion/drive stuff and I’m sure the community will add presets that are based on originals.

Yeah I liked this episode where he was comparing Behringer with Boss pedals.

3 Likes
3 Likes

I love the fact that a blend knob turns more or less any pedal into a bass pedal.

2 Likes

@Noisembryo has some RAT pedals on his board as you can see in this thread.

Curious how he plays the original RAT. I actually got the Rattler on my board that @sfadams linked. That one won’t go off my board for a long time. The Aftershock was a really close call when deciding on a dirt pedal. With the Aftershock you also get a fuzz included similar like the Chase Bliss Brothers.

https://www.chaseblissaudio.com/shop-pedals/brothers

You can also combine two pedals to get the job done. For example when you combine a B3k with a rat tail/king pedal for a more dirty sound. I’ve seen on other forums lots of combination suggestions. I guess an EQ pedal before OD can achieve something similar?

At the moment I’m intrigued by blend pedals or actually 2 channel pedals with a clean channel and dirty.

2 Likes

If I still had a board I would probably eventually have bought a Tyler.

3 Likes

I love the owl and moon detail. :smiley:
Blend, low/high pass filter sounds good too, yeah that is a really nice pedal.

3 Likes

Yeah you could just throw all your dirt and modulation in the high pass loop and just compress the low end and end up with Darkglass Everything.

3 Likes

love that channel. even though he is pretty allergic to basses.

1 Like

one of the coolest things about the hx stomp is the ability to blend your dry signal into any pedal. so i can have a bass klon. daveT also has a standalone pedal that does the same thing,

1 Like

This is one of my favorite videos when it comes to history, progression, variants. Josh seems to cover a wider range of topics now, but some of the older videos could be the basis for a pedal PhD.

3 Likes