Original strings on Yamaha's?

I’ve had my Yammie 504 now for almost a couple months but am curious if anyone knows which strings are factory equipped. I have a set of Exl170 waiting to put on but I’m also not real happy with the current tone so I want to be sure not to buy whatever is strung already ever again. I admit I am a new player so maybe I just have no clue how to tweak dials on the amp or bass but I also suspect the base (pun intended) strings it came with may just be rubbish. (In which case I can also pat myself on the back for starting to develop an ear for better tone)
Steve

1 Like

According to Sweetwater’s website the 504 comes with D’addario EXL’s in .045-.100.

3 Likes

I would take the Sweetwater info with a grain of salt. I got a Sire earlier this year, and it reportedly had D’addario strings according to spec.

But the one I got had Ernie Ball. I contacted Sire, and seems that due to Covid D’addario had supply chain issues and couldn’t meet it’s obligations to manufacturers.

So I got Ernie Ball instead.

They’re only strings, change them, and if you don’t like them, change again.

5 Likes

The Yamaha web page states the same thing: D’Addario EXL170 / 0.045-0.100
But @Wombat-metal comment could apply here too, you can’t be absolutely sure.

@EvenSteven weren’t you happy with the tone from the beginning, or did it only recently occur to you? It might just be that your strings have reached their end of life.

I am amazed every time how good new strings sound compared to ones that are months old.
Now that I am talking of it, I need to restring my bass …

1 Like

You and Wombat both make good points- being a noob I paid no attention to tone at start but now just seems a little lacking to me. I had already bought a set of replacements (based on that dang string finding tool somebody posted) so I will get around to that in the next day or so. I think I’m showing my noobieness since I was thinking I needed to have a replacement set on hand (my son plays guitar and breaks enough strings I figured I needed to always have a spare ready to go) I don’t have freakish strength or an adamantium based finger nail so I bet I can survive a few days without breaking one of those cables we bassists call strings.

2 Likes

I keep spare strings on hand too. I have snapped strings, and it’s always when the local shop is closed. So if I lose one, or more commonly, I don’t like the sound and simply cannot live another moment with bland sounding strings and need instant gratification right now, I have a spare set on hand.

1 Like

Yamaha TRBX’s and BB’s ship with D’Addario EXL170 nickel rounds. These are nice and well rounded rounds, not as bright as stainless, but still bright.

2 Likes

Ha, I am too lazy to keep an extra set of strings on hand. I just keep an extra bass around. Don’t tell my wife…

5 Likes

…of flats and rounds… and pots, and pickup foam, and knobs, and screws, and straplocks, and a strap without straplocks in case I forgot to buy the straplocks, and strap button felt, and rack space…

Be prepared!

2 Likes

I don’t have spare pots…

1 Like

Welcome to my world. LOL.

1 Like

That reminds me. I really need to buy a backup generator and Stabil for the 500 gallons of gas I plan to keep in my emergency Bass Bunker.

3 Likes

I bought new strings for my guitar about 3 years ago and haven’t gotten around to putting them on yet :joy: definitely keep extra basses on hand :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@EvenSteven, are the ball ends of the strings (where they go through the bridge) different colors or are they all brass? If they are different colors they are probably D’addario’s. At least I think they do that with the EXL’s. All of the basses I have with rounds have Ernie Ball strings at the moment. This is what the Chromes look like.

3 Likes

Ibanez love, bro. :slight_smile: SR500/600?

For what it’s worth, I did see the multicolored ball ends on one other brand of strings, but for the life of me I can’t remember. Fender, maybe? Blargh.

1 Like

Yes fender has coloured ball ends, they’re brass, red, silver, green.

2 Likes

Yes, you’re right. I have a set of Fender flats on my P Bass and the ball ends are colored.