Other hobbies?

As some of you will have guessed from my username, I play with cars. I’m currently fitting a 400bhp Jaguar XJR engine into my Volvo 240 estate/wagon. I’m currently the stages of fitting the standalone engine management and trying to create a clutch/flywheel solution (the engine was never fitted with a manual transmission from the factory). The project is taking forever due to financial and enthusiasm reasons. The picture is what it looked like before I tore it apart to give it a heart transplant. Now, 5 years later, it’s looking very sad and increasingly green!

9 Likes

That is a cool sleeper car!

3 Likes

Awesome! Many thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

I mess around with computing in my spare time (at one point I was a professional coder using Delphi) as well as enjoying flight simulation.
I just asked ChatGPT (an online AI tool) which site was the best bass guitar online teaching site. It told me that was a subjective question and I should try them to see which suited me the best. It did give me a number of sites including, I am happy to say, BassBuzz!!

7 Likes

Just seen that you mentioned me! :slight_smile: (9 days too late, oops) Haven’t checked out this forum lately as I’m busy with the course but would love to hang out more over here! Definitely busy though as I have my own business as a photographer / filmmaker but i’ve been consistent with playing bass for a month now :grin: my other hobbies are collecting vinyl, going to concerts and my job is actually also my hobby! :blush:

3 Likes

We have a thing for that here…

-10c with a little bit of wind and sunny. Nice day up around Cutblock Peak today with Pizza dog and her little buddy.

7 Likes

An involuntary hobby I have gladly have is going to my daughters Irish dance competitions. This weekend there were two in a row, placed in 9 out of 10 dances (about 15-25 kids in each).

4 first place
2 seconds
1 third
2 fourths
woot

18 Likes

Does this mean you’ll be getting an Irish whistle collection soon :slightly_smiling_face: :upside_down_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It’s always nice with the hardwares. That’s what my daughter always say when i say “just do your best”, :joy:

1 Like

Ham Radio. It’s an electronics hobby and there’s actually a lot of cross-over between it and music electronics.

4 Likes

Welding up a stand for my milling machine:

Its 1" by 2" mild steel tubing, 1/8" walls. Using the hot glue gun for metal, aka flux core wirefeed. Running 0.030 Lincoln Electric wire. What you see on the fixture table are the top and bottom squares of about 30" on a side. The whole stand will be 34" high, and will have a tool chest built in.

And here is me in my guise:

9 Likes

Very nice.

3 Likes

I love to hunt and shoot. I live where it is a pastime for most. We have deer, moose, bear, and birds. There are way more guns than people and it’s a way of life. Isn’t it odd that there is NO gun violence here ? We have a range for formal shooting and it’s not unusual to have ages ranging from 6 to 96. Or we can go to one of hundreds pits for an afternoon. I know this isn’t “politicaly correct”…but it works well around here.

7 Likes

Reminds me, there is a sporting clay place not far from my house. With this weather it’s about time for another trip…

5 Likes

Mellow ski touring afternoon up around Mt Crowe. Pizza Dog had a good time as usual.

11 Likes

Yeah I am under 30 by a lot! I wish I could be more active but I have so many niche hobbies I can’t spend time on all the forums lol. Still playing bass though!

3 Likes

Went snowshoeing this weekend and thought of @John_E when seeing this. I highly recommend visiting the Mt. Shasta facility!

7 Likes

HA!
Haven’t really shared this here with most, but….
In December the “good” folks at Pepsi did their bi-annual purging of older white males via layoffs, which included me. A few notes:

1. F Pepsi
  2. Went out on my own and started consulting. Things are looking pretty good and might do this for a while (still interviewing in case something magical comes up).
  3. Ever since I’ve been getting paid and will continue to get paid by then until July - to play sax and bass all day (when not double dipping via consulting).
  4. In hindsight, best thing that’s ever happened to me.
14 Likes

…with a can of Coke on the side :wink:

Well, bugger me, sad to hear - and… great to hear, I figure!

I guess I am envious… kinda waiting for someone to pay me some severance and push me over the “edge” to explore other stuff!

2 Likes