Other hobbies?

Spring snowmelt has arrived here so the first whitewater paddle of the season on my local river.

7 Likes

Im a sucker for tools, and for garage sales.

I picked up this little beauty for 250 Canadian dollhairs.

Borsch 10" sliding dual bevel miterr saw, with the almost brand new De Wilt finger pincher jobsite stand.

5 Likes

I used to collect hobbies. After having kids, I had to put most of them on hold. The only two I continue to do are making music and collecting vinyl records.

Before kids, however, I was heavily into Warhammer. More so the painting aspect of it due to various time constraints and such but I was really proud of my painting skills. Even won some local painting competitions. Never won the Golden Demon award but still.

Some of my favorites:

For those unfamiliar, you assemble and paint these tiny figurines (some larger than others. The first two are just under 3 inches but the Heldrake is quite large) and then there is a table-top game that goes along with them. Very deep strategies and very challenging to play. The game has actually been around since the early 80s and has developed an amazingly unique sci-fi universe around it. Heck, the games Warcraft and Starcraft were direct ripoffs of Warhammer’s designs and characters.

11 Likes

Very nice! I was in to 40k myself though I did have some from Fantasy Battles. Sadly, no pics, but I had a solid Grey Knights/Inquisition force, and a much larger Tau force, with a few Eldar thrown in too. Was considering a Slaanesh chaos force before bailing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nice! I actually started with a Dwarf army in fantasy then did a Thousand Sons army for 40k. Then started building a Mechanicus army. Never got the chance to finish that one before my first kid was born. I fully intend on getting them into it once they’re a little older.

3 Likes

Have you been to these threads?

2 Likes

Loved this game when it came out.

1 Like

I really enjoy bouldering as physical activity.

2 Likes

Like others here, I enjoy the very fun (and expensive) hobby of collecting vinyl. Also I enjoy gardening. Mainly for food though. Last year we had over 120 kg of tomatoes, so apart from eating everything we could, we processed tomato sauce for about a years use. Cooking and baking is also interests of f mine.
I also enjoy the WH40K universe a lot. Only books, not playing tabletop.

2 Likes

I don’ tknow this - what does it involve?

IMG_5259

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

I believe it’s like rock climbing @John_E but not as high and with no aids like ropes etc

1 Like

@mac is correct.

@John_E So rock climbing is usually done with a rope. The lead climber is tied off and climbs up the rock. He/She then places pieces of protection into the cliff as they climb and clips the rope through that piece of gear. If they fall the second (the person on the other end of the rope) uses a friction device to lock off the rope and stop the fall.

I grew up with traditional rock climbing where you placed gear as you went. Usually metal wedges that were placed in cracks in the rock. Most of my teenage years and twenties was all in on climbing. I lived next to the sea, so we would climb the limestone cliffs.

Sport climbing is the same but someone has drilled into the rock and placed a metal hanger which you can clip into much the same as traditional gear. It was done to try and protect routes which were hard to place traditional protection.

Leading

Belaying

Bouldering is climbing but without ropes and generally closer to the ground. Climbing boulders. They usually involve a series of technically difficult moves.

Soloing is rock climbing but with no ropes, aka Alex Honnold.

5 Likes

That’s just bloody crazy @Barney !
I’m not a lover of heights but will if I have to.
My youngest daughter was really into her climbing. Not me :chicken:

3 Likes

Nah, crazy is owning more than one bass.

That first picture is from a route called A Dream of White Horses. It’s in North Wales and I can still remember the day almost 30 years ago. One of my happiest climbing memories. It’s an absolute classic. Not really hard (HVS if I recall) but super atmospheric with the sea crashing into the cliffs below as you climb.

2 Likes

You get Chaos Gate? It was great! The only Space Marine army I ever liked was my Grey Knight/Inquisition one, so it was perfect :slight_smile:

Other than that I was mostly Tau and Eldar. Oh yeah, and of course Orks. Everyone should have Orks and a spare rulebook for Gorkamunda.

2 Likes

oh, hell nawwww

7 Likes

I approve of this post :point_up::joy:

4 Likes

My biggest hobby other than music is acquiring as much knowledge as I can …

3 Likes

My happy place, Love racing in my Sim Rig.

3 Likes