Other hobbies?

Well, I don’t know. If you are willing to put your info up on some site, or send your spit to a lab, and NOT read the privacy clauses, then I don’t think you have a complaint to make about you not having privacy and it does not need to be regulated. No one is forcing anyone to put their data out there, we all do it willingly.

My cousin is a private investigator and her job has never been easier since the birth of social media and the internet. People don’t take Ts&Cs seriously, they want to just belong and will do anything to do so.

For me, I could care less, have nothing to hide.
For the rest….Keep Tik-Toking, just make sure you don’t break any laws.

1 Like

This of course is a horse of another color. And obviously wrong.

2 Likes

I know of at least 1 criminologist who works full time on staff for one of these three.

2 Likes

Well, THAT’s reassuring! (NOT)
But in what capacity is the criminologist working? I have not heard any reports of law enforcement using those three companies’ databases. It would be against their current terms and conditions.

1 Like

I don’t know. Within T&C they could be looking for criminal behavior markers. That would be potentially lucrative.

1 Like

Interesting coincidence.
I had the Nikon FTN and developed my own film and prints in that same time period.

Here is a site that shows and explains a lot in simple terms.
Nico stresses the fact that you can do astrophotography very economically.

Here is a link I just recently found that was very informative about using GIMP for post processing.

Another coincidence.
This is exactly why I switched to GIMP :joy:

Nico on the Nebula Photos YouTube channel is probably my go to for most things I want to check out.

Where is the Mid-Atlantic, USA?

3 Likes

I use it to mean the states in the middle of the east (Atlantic) coast; nice and vague. :grin:

Yes, interesting coincidences. We’re probably of the same vintage, too! (65-70 or so)

I watched the video on stacking that you posted earlier, and found it well-explained and interesting. If I get into shooting the stars, I’ll see if there is comparable software for a Mac, which I use. I’ll also check out the Nico videos, and bookmark.

1 Like

Yes Sir, I just turned 71 in June.

His videos seem to be the most down to earth to me. :slightly_smiling_face:
Nico is in the Boston area.

Good luck.

Yeah, but all your relatives might.

The way this works is they find a distant match of the DNA to you, then start investigating your relatives. “We got a DNA match to John; turns out his cousin Al goes to school where the protest took place!”, etc. And they do not need those people’s DNA to be submitted to a site; they obtain it later. So by not caring about privacy, you expose your whole family tree to unspecified future legal risk.

3 Likes

All of this was new to me and covered in the podcast I listened to. Very interesting and sobering stuff.

I know the MK Ultra stuff is way out there. But spend any time reading the Snowden stuff from the NSA leak and realize how much data gathering is taking place on regular citizens.

3 Likes

Snowden. The guy living in Russia. As he planned all along.

But everyone makes it sound like the evil governent is collecting troves on private citizens. All the time ignoring the companies doing it at a far greater rate.

The amount of information your grocery store has on you from using a discount card is scary, and I say that as a person who programmed these systems. I know of a case where coupons for diapers and baby formula were sent to a household where the daughter had not fessed up to being pregnant yet. The composition of your household is known, age, demographics, all from your grocery card. To a high degree of accuracy.

2 Likes

The worst are the “online background check” companies, that purposefully aggregate it from every source they can, but aren’t as smart as they think they are, and get hacked and leak it all. Which has happened multiple times.

I keep hoping one of them will be sued into oblivion for this.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m much happier being back to my government job, because for all it seems otherwise, we care more about ethics than folks in the private sector. For the most part, I know they’re are bad apples.

But in my time at the State Police, Department of Criminal Justice, and severl hospitals, I’ve worked with a lot of good people and have never had an ethical issue, unlike my time in the Fortune 500

4 Likes

WOW! That’s an interesting story in itself!

2 Likes

In terms of hobbies, currently, I’m a bit of a green thumb. Grow pepper trees in my yard,minor landscaping that sort of thing. It makes me feel very relaxed and at peace with the world.

I enjoy Dungeons And Dragons, though the town I live in is so small, not many people are into it around here, so I mostly play online.

I do happen to play video games on PC, I’m also a bit of a tech nerd and build my own computers (been doing it since about 12).

Also, after a seven year layoff, I’m training to fight again. Was training MMA, currently in a boxing gym. I do it for fun, and have no aspirations of turning pro (I’m 35). It does make me a bit unhappy because I don’t drink when I train, but I suppose that’s a net positive.

Many other smaller interests, like drag racing, motorcycles, writing fiction, etc.

5 Likes

I spent quite a few years working for the government / military. As always it depends which side of the glass you’re looking in / out of. One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter.

Most of us carry a GPS tracking device with us, use social media and give our information away for free. Why is such a useful and accurate service such as Google maps free? Your data that’s why. Nothing is free. If you don’t know what the product is, then you are the product, right? I understand that on a broad level, obviously not as detailed as you.

But what really surprised me about Snowden with stuff like the PRISM program was the sheer volume of data the NSA was / is pulling down every day on it’s own citizens. Companies like Google giving the NSA a backdoor into their servers to hoover up as much internet traffic as they wished. An almost infinite sum terabytes of data gathered indiscriminately. Billions of pieces of phone metadata collected. All with virtually no oversight.

I’m no tinfoil conspiracy nut but I’ve personally seen enough interesting stuff over the years to not wholly trust that my own or any other large government has my best interests at heart.

I encrypt more than I did before, I change my passwords more often and I’m more guarded about what I say on the web. I have him to thank for that.

3 Likes

But only in one of those cases you have no choice in the matter.

2 Likes

True, but considering in most countries the government doesn’t own the infrastructure, it has to rely on the companies narking on you

2 Likes

The issue isn’t who does what. The crucial issue is that governments have no oversight and as such it can do whatever it wants without any responsibility. (The fact that Snowden is a fugitive and not a witness tells it all) The same regulatory bodies who will punish inappropriate data handling by corporations, do nothing against much worse data harvesting by a government. … that’s my core issue with this matter … however, politics and bassbuzz … let’s not go that way :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Good plan

Although it must be noted that the government has oversight from the courts and the opposition (and the media if it’s doing it’s job…)

4 Likes