Other hobbies?

This goes to a really great point that a guy on Sam Harris’ podcast was making (forget his name, it is one of the most recent ones though) how centralized government(s) can no longer regulate de-centralized things (internet, etc) and that decentralized governing of things is needed. He proposes using things like block chain tech to do so in the future. technology has usurped centralized gov’ts ability to regulate. It’s an interesting concept. For my simple mind, he uses the example of Uber, etc…it is essentially governed by the users and rating systems. the ‘star rating system’ is quickly becoming the most simplest form of decentralized regulation (my brain can understand this, but not how to expand it to true regulations).

Its kinda like Covid, when you try to ‘regulate’ the virus on a local level, the virus ignores you and goes where it wants. Same with tech IMO.

4 Likes

I quit the pedal bike thing, because I cut my head open from ear to ear. It was a real Halloween experience. I went to riding MC and Bass are my two top items unless you want to count six open acres of mowing to do. In these cases I listen to the bass on any music I have up on Spotify. Mainly bass enhanced tunes…!

4 Likes

Well, tbh. I personally don’t think it’s a problem of the government’s inability to regulate. The core problem is that governments have much more power than they need.

Everyone knows Nietzsche’s expectation of bloodbath after he acknowledged that the only innately sovereign thing in the society, the authority of a god has gone. Long before this pop culture honey of philosophical masses, there was this guy called Joseph De Maistre who was one of core counter-enlightenment advocates. (of “Every nation has a government it deserves.” fame) Although he had a lot of personal reasons (As a member of aristocracy himself.) to be against what Robespierre and co. were doing in France at that time his work is really good. His core belief and argument was that there simply isn’t a mechanism that would create a sovereign power in society from within. The only way how to introduce a sovereign power is from outside. (In his case like from … metaphysical outside.: D) I don’t believe it’s true, however, I firmly believe that the only sovereign power there’s, is the sovereignty of an individual and the sole purpose of a government is to safeguard this sovereignty.

At the moment when generally acknowledged rights of an individual are eroded in the name of the existence of a governing body (Snowden’s case), we’re getting to the absolutely mad situation, when the existence of an entity created to safeguard the innate sovereignty of an individual has no longer any link to that purpose and as such after a while, we end up in a situation when the sole aim of the institution of government is to perpetuate itself, by eroding the rights of its people.

The last thing anyone should want, IMHO, is to grant any more power to any government out there.

4 Likes

Pro tip - no one needs more than 2 acres, let nature work the magic and play more bass. :smirk:

2 Likes

I’m hoping to get 500-1000 in the near future :scream::joy:

5 Likes

Grew up having to mow 5. I don’t even want a yard ever again.

6 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:
I have horses for that

4 Likes

Unless you live in a bushfire zone…

2 Likes

Wow. As an ex-farm kid I’m envious. The Royal Bank of Canada liked my parents’ farm so much they kept it for themselves. Been itching get farming again, but I just don’t have the cash to get land.

4 Likes

It’s dependent on a few things but fingers crossed it should all come to fruition soon @MC-Canadastan
I’ve always been a farm boy myself too up until the last 7 years where I’ve moved into the urban jungle. I’m fortunate enough to have around 12 acres at the moment ( leased) but after a work place accident I’m due a bit of a windfall in the near future.
To be honest I’d rather be where I was in my life pre-accident but things happen for a reason. Hopefully I can get myself back on track when things get sorted

3 Likes

Royal Cornholes!

4 Likes

I have no issue with lots of acreage, but mowing significant amounts is silly. Nowhere else on earth does a single biological thing exist in isolation like a lawn. it is the most un-natural thing on the planet.

3 Likes

Hated that crap. I think it’s why I’ve loved cities so much since being a teen and never looked back.

2 Likes

One of the best episodes from a great series…

3 Likes

Yep. **** them and the horse they rode in on.

3 Likes

Fishing……especially fly fishing. I tie my own flies.

6 Likes

That is a great hobby. Very relaxing and rewarding even if you don’t catch a great deal

1 Like

Oh man, I have a lot of hobbies. The perks of having ADHD.

• Crafts. Think knitting, sewing, cross stitch, and sticker making with my die cut machine.
  • Weightlifting. As in olympic style. I started weight training in my early 30s to get into shape and loved it. It’s even how I met my husband! We met at a gym! I’ve even done some competitions as a “master” (age 35 and over)
  • Video games. I’m a nerd, and always will be. The first Nintendo in the 80s shaped my entire being. No shame here.
  • Cars, sort of. I have a 2017 GTI SE, and I love it.
  • Languages. Currently learning to speak Japanese. Have always had a fascination with Japan, largely from previously mentioned Nintendo.
8 Likes

Interesting topic!
I also play a little bit of keyboard as well :slight_smile:
Now, besides music I like reading the most. Especially about metaphysics, sociology, psychology, history etc.
I also play PC games when I have more time available.
Oh and almost forgot… I like moderate alchocol drinking for the weekend :smiley:

6 Likes

Walking in Yorkshire dales, fishing and going to gigs. Went to see elbow Monday at Leeds 02,small venue for them. Last night Piece Hall, Halifax for New Order. Set list was
Regret
Age of Consent
Restless
Ultraviolence
Ceremony
Your Silent Face
Tutti Frutti
Be a Rebel
Guilt Is a Useless Emotion
Subculture
Bizarre Love Triangle
Vanishing Point