Other hobbies?

No Perfect Kiss? Well, without Hooky, it wouldn’t be the same anyway :slight_smile:

Still, hard to imagine a set without that, and without Touched By The Hand Of God.

1 Like

Nice! Another bookworm! Do you have some specific topics in these fields you are really curious about?

4 Likes

I really like a lot of stuff for those kind of books, but I will try to be more specific. Let’s say I prefer researching social brainwashing, work on oneself, raising consciousness, mysteries…topics like that. If you want I could type some specific books for recommendation.
What do you like to read?

4 Likes

Please.

3 Likes

Brave new world by Huxley, 1984 by Orwell, Manipulated mind by Denise Winn, A battle for the mind by William Sargant etc…
Dystopian themed books are in general good for seeing the maximum potential and consequences of brainwashing and social programming.
If you are intrigued by mind programming and would like to check some experiments from recent history(not including only WW2), try to find some material about Greenbaum project / Monarch MK Ultra.
Some experiments like Stanford prison experiment might also be interesting.

I would even say that you can look no further than to read more about history and take the point from an ordinary citizen. History tends to repeats itself as people tend to make same mistakes and masses are easily manipulated, only the settings change.

4 Likes

Jellie! :grin:

Try “The Futurological Congress” and “Fables for Robots” by Stanislaw Lem. The first is a novel, the latter an anthology. In the former, the world is a halucination fueled by vision inducing drugs. In the latter, you should read “Uranium Ears”. Lem predicted social control through vanity and wearable devices back in 1964.

2 Likes

Thank you! We have a great deal of overlap on the fictional literature. I’m always interested in finding more on the research side. I’ll check out The Stanford Prison research as I think I’m unfamiliar with that one. Does actual information on Mk exist or is that in the category of urban legend?

I took social psych for fun. One of my favorite experiments is where the subject is instructed by a (actor) doctor to give (fake) electric shocks to the actor in the next room of escalating intensity. Even when the person is writhing in pain and begging for it to stop, the subject continues to follow the doctor’s instruction to administer the next shock.

Another of the most interesting actual occurrences is that apartment building where the balconies faced toward an interior courtyard and many neighbors heard the screams of a woman being murdered, but no one acted because everyone thought if something so terrible were happening that someone else would have done something.

I also like experiments that prove the actual reason something is true that had been previously dismissed as magic or esoteric. Stanford neurology has been good about monitoring Buddhist monks’ brains for this type of investigation. There’s a section in “The Hunter Gatherer’s Guide” titled “literally false, metaphorically true” that describes situations where people benefit from behaving according to a belief, but not for the reason they think it benefits them.

2 Likes

This is my current read …

2 Likes

My current read…

3 Likes

It’s a fascinating subject

3 Likes

The world spends an awful lot of time and money on shenanigans and F’ery when we could be doing something good instead, like buying bass.

Check.

3 Likes

Your dedication to making the world a better place by buying lots of basses will not go unrewarded :wink:

3 Likes

Reminds me of the old Pinkard and Bowden song:
Elvis was a narc wearing rhinestones after dark
He did his best to keep Memphis drug-free
He knew every pill he’d eat would be one less on the street.
Elvis did it all for you and me

2 Likes

Thanks, I will!

I prefer cashew nuts over conspiracy theory nuts :joy: :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

Ah yes, milligram experiment, how much one is willing to go in order to fulfill orders. Other one with balconies - haven’t heard of it, interesting!
I am writing down “Sleights of mind”, will check it.

Regarding MK Ultra, it will always be somewhere between the real thing and urban legend because it will never be publicly recognized, nor CIA would confess it. My opinion is that it is real and has happened, but some details might be wrong.
For your liking about experiments which cross between magic and real, check Philadelphia experiment for sure. It is officially known as urban legend, but the more details you dig from it, the less it seems like a legend only.

2 Likes

The problem with that is so much of the world’s history is the result of a conspiracy. I would say roughly a third, with the remainder being equal parts avarice and stupidity.

1 Like

Hey, I am sorry, I will get to the topic of books in a while. But, I watched Lex Fridman’s podcast with Niels Jorgensen, NYPD Firefighter, and 9/11 first responder and I just really want to share it, because I think everyone should listen to this conversation.

And maybe … we know about favorite books now … maybe you guys would like to share some of your favorite podcasts of yours.

2 Likes