Other hobbies?

Just getting into podcasts recently as my non-music listening has been mainly Howard Stern for decades, but here are the ones that really get my attention…

https://smartless.simplecast.com/

(And no, SBL is not one of them)

1 Like

Sam Harris is excellent. Now my favourite recommendation for an oddball but excellent podcast is Criminal. Crime stories but often unusual, sometimes funny. Check out ‘He’s neutral’ to see if you might like it.

If you are into RPG gaming, game design, or writing, the best podcast (IMO) is Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff
Writer and game designer Robin Laws and game designer and writer Ken Hite spend an hour every week talking about writing, weird history, occultists, conspiracy theories, and how those things can be game-ified. They also talk about food and movies.
I live for Fridays and the new episode.

1 Like

If I should recommend one podcast everyone should listen to, it’s “Blueprint for Armageddon” series (cca 20 hours at 1x speed IIRC) on WW1 by Dan Carlin. It’s not free, but it’s a masterpiece.

A good book is Beneath a Scarlet Sky. It’s the true story of Pino, an Italian young man in WW2 Italy. Pino starts out working the underground railroad smuggling Jews across the Alps, is forced to enlist in the German army by his parents to keep him safe, becomes the personal driver of Hitler’s right hand in the region, and becomes a spy for the Allies.

Fascinating, heartbreaking tale.

1 Like

Hi there @wellbi ,
i have recently purchased and read both Kyle Carpenter & Dakota Meyers books.
These guys are both Medal of Honor recipients.
I have also watched the Medal of honor presentations for the following
Ed Byers, Kyle Carpenter, Ty Carter, Sal Giunta, Florent Groberg, Dakota Meyer, Leroy Petry, Ryan Pitts, David Bellavia, Michael Monsoor, Thomas Payne,
All of these guys are heroes.
We have been watching everything that has been on TV regarding the 2001 attacks and what followed etc over the last week.
Cheers Brian

Otherwise… My hobbies include automobiles. Specifically VW’S. more specifically GTI’S And air cooled bugs

5 Likes

Oh hell yeah :sunglasses::metal:t2:

I’ve owned lots of Golfs/Rabbits, really great cars.

1 Like

My father-in-law raced V Dub engined Speed Cars back in the day and still has a couple of big bore kits for the bug engines.
I may one day do something with them if I can.
I also always wanted a mk1 GTI . They were the bees knees of the hot hatches in my early to mid 20s

1 Like

I am a bit of a (mostly vicarious) gearhead. Though I’m not a big fan of V Dub, or German cars for that matter, I have to say that they had the two very best advertising campaigns:

My Fast:

and, the very, very best, Unpimp My Auto ads:

2 Likes

Lots of different hobbies over the years. Currently, in addition to learning bass, I enjoy woodworking. I’m also an amateur radio (ham radio) operator and enjoy flight simulation. Been flying computer based sims since the early 80’s.

3 Likes

The latest MSFS is really, really good. Been having some fun in it; flying actual planes has been out for me for a while now, but the sim was surprisingly fun and accurate.

1 Like

I agree. Been flying mostly P3D for jetliner/VATSIM flights, but love the new MSFS for low and slow VFR flying.

2 Likes

My pimped ride. 2021 mk7.5 GTI!
Best car I’ve ever owned driven.
I long to and always suggest I drive.

3 Likes

I write for a living, but when I am (definitely) not getting paid, I write, direct, and do sound design for 1930s- style radio plays
https://indyweek.com/events/tattle-tell/

Edited to add: me and my wife, about 10 minutes before we hit the stage to do the live broadcast of the radio play.
That’s an honest-to-god 1938 fedora and a 1940s-1950s Brooks Brothers seersucker suit. I’m not sure where she got the vintage dress and hat.

10 Likes

After my wife did such a spectacular job of breaking her leg and news of a very long recovery forecast by the surgeon I’ve discovered a new hobby.
I can actually cook! Not the stuff that I used to do when I was single but proper fancy stuff.
So far I’ve ventured as far as lobster spaghetti, seafood marinara ( from scratch-no pre-mixed seafood), pad Thai and apple gratin.
Okay, not that fancy to some but it’s certainly making the missus happy lol

10 Likes

Good for you, @Mac . . . :+1:

I was planning on doing a lot of cooking when I retired years ago, but never seemed to get around to it. :roll_eyes:

There’s SO much involved with cooking as a hobby! I think that having someone to cook for is a really good incentive, too . . . :wink:

Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress!

Joe

3 Likes

Thanks Joe @Jazzbass19

It seems I may have shot myself in the foot so to speak. Apparently I will be continuing my cooking foray even after even after the boss has fully recovered :joy:

To be fair, baking runs in my family with my Grandad and my Uncles being master bakers. Unfortunately I grew up not knowing them but it could be in the blood. I do keep getting the urge to do a cake or two.

3 Likes

Baking is something I never got into, but when I was married, I did occasionally cook for the both of us, mostly chicken and fish dishes. Your “lobster spaghetti” idea sounds pretty tasty to me! :wink:

Cheers
Joe

2 Likes