Other hobbies?

Very simple to make @Jazzbass19 . Cream,tomatoes,white wine and lobster basically.
Funnily enough I had never had lobster before never mind cooked it :joy:

2 Likes

Well - I have a lot of other hobbies, if having time and the mood to do it…

• I do paintings in oil (you know Bob Ross???)
  • I do acrylic pouring together with my wife
  • I have a outdoor garden railway in my backyard. I also develop electronic controllers and drivers using programmable mircrocontrollers to remote control the locomotives.

Sports? No, thanks :rofl:

Alex

5 Likes

As a long-time train buff, that one sounds interesting to me , @Alex_G . . . :slight_smile:

What scale are you running? The LG’s?

Cheers
Joe

1 Like

Hi @Jazzbass19 ,
funny to see other railroad fans in here. I have a G scale outside. I started with HO while being a young kid. My wife started with Z scale - so maybe the smallest scale.
I have a mixture of LGB and PIKO running, but LGB is way more expensive than PIKO.
What I’ve done is getting all the cheap electronics crap out and put batteries and my electronics in. So I run a so-called deadrail.

Alex

1 Like

You realize this demands pictures right?
In return I’ll offer this bit of high geekery. When I run RPGs at conventions I sometimes use movie-level props.

Yes, that is a human finger in a test tube. And a military/medical research lab ID from a 1950s Soviet secret facility for making zombie super soldiers. The crumpled newspaper is a period-correct Russian paper, and the crate, if I’d thought to turn it around for the photo, has Soviet military markings. The other pages are period-accurate and properly aged MI-6 debriefing reports from a Soviet defector. When I run the scenario, I have the players pry open the crate to get to the finger near the end. It’s cool.

4 Likes

I’ve been into woodturning for a few years.

These are some of the pieces I’ve turned on my lathe.

23 Likes

Pretty good for dead tree carcasses :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Whoa . . . Some very nice pieces there, @NipperDog . . . :+1:

We have some real talent on board these Forums :wink:

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

I live in a private lake in East Texas, so I play with my boats, and watch eagles and gaitors.
I also have a Lance 1030 cabover on a double cab dually, and wife and I and two Boarder Collies travel and camp.

3 Likes

As my profile picture may suggest, I have a horse (she’s awesome). I board her about 10 minutes from my house and spend a lot of time on her back during good weather either trail riding or schooling. But we’re now into the yucky part of our fall weather - everything is muddy, the forests are full of hunters, and it’s dark by 5pm. So I signed up for B2B yesterday and am already on Module 2. Let the focusing on indoor hobbies begin! :slight_smile:

11 Likes

A new acquisition

I was pretty handy with a bow when I was in my late teens but then developed an interest in firearms.
I’ve been mulling over the idea of getting a bow again and this one popped up locally so why not

12 Likes

That’s some serious looking equipment, @Mac . . . :slight_smile:

What sort of draw does it have?

Cheers
Joe

2 Likes

Mac is dressing up as a Centaur next Halloween! :scream:

2 Likes

Adjustable 30-60lbs @Jazzbass19 . My first compound bow . I used to shoot recurve back in the day and compound bows were very much the new fangled toy that would never take off :joy:
I have enough trouble putting pants on in a morning so there’s little chance of any fancy dress @HowlinDawg :joy:

2 Likes

@Mac there’s a place about an hour away from me that teaches archery on horseback and I so want to go (I just need to find a willing accomplice with a horse trailer, and convince my horse that the thwing! sound isn’t going to eat her). It looks like so much fun! Enjoy!

2 Likes

That would be great to do @Sillymonky
I reckon Cranky Franky our thoroughbred would be up for it too :thinking:

2 Likes

What you need there is a Mongolian recurve bow as later interpreted by the Persians and Turks. Instead of using wood and sinew, they would use damascened steel. I’m no great believer in the mystic power of pattern welded steels. However, due to their springiness damascus and wootz steels were ideal for this application. The Persians were able to use them to make a very lightweight, high-draw bow comparable in size to Mongolian bows. They were also often collapsible for storage and transport.

3f7b10193344dcbcb96d5708493e3d7d

The Mongols had an archery technique where they would have literally hundreds of men on horseback spinning like a gigantic gyre around a center, and would fire as they rounded the gyre on the side of a target and then race around again to reload. Or in a charge they would steer the horses with their knees, and fire in every direction often at very close range.

5 Likes

Have you thought of groundwork or liberty training? It’s not riding but it’s a challenge and the horses like it…

2 Likes

Ground work imo is more important than riding. It builds a great bond between the rider and the horse . It’s also fun
Not tried liberty training but I will investigate 🥸

2 Likes

@Ed oh yeah - we do lots of groundwork and liberty work, as well as work on extreme cowboy racing obstacles (I don’t actually race, but the toys are fun). My horse is fairly noise sensitive so I’d want to get her used to the noise before working mounted or bringing her to an archery clinic.

3 Likes