Other hobbies?

Scuba and sailing are my favorite hobbies. I used to fly a lot, now with covid not so much and I have to renew my licenses.

Started messing with electronics by building some pedals. I wouldn’t call it a hobby yet, but it’s definitely developing in that direction.

I do web development for a living but I have a lot of personal projects outside work. Two of them related with music practice which I already shared in this forum (fretful.io and grooveful.io).

Apart from that, I’m a bookworm and of course movies and tv series.

I dabbed with writing in the past, but I didn’t enjoy reading what I came up with so that’s that :laughing:

14 Likes

I’ve been retired since 2012 so have a few….

**** I have a full cabinet shop and enjoy spending time building cabinets and furniture…. Have done this for many years and still have all my fingers and as long as I don’t cut off the index and middle finger of my plucking hand, I suppose I’ll continue playing bass…

**** I also build and repair various firearms…. I use to shoot competitively before my eyesight started going south (along with various parts of my body)…. Now I just teach others how to build and hone in their shooting skills…

**** I build a ton of custom ammo loads for firearms for competitive shooting and hunting. I build custom rounds based on each individual firearm in order to get the best possible round…

**** I spend a lot of time working on my property cutting firewood and setting up deer and turkey stands/blinds for my grandkids to hunt…

**** I spend time camping with Connie and my little buddy Griffin in our motorhome - we love camping and hiking at the numerous State Parks here in the southeast…

**** And my favorite hobby…… Alone time on the shitter…!!... At my age, and given my diet of fruits and fiber,…. I’m doing that a whole lot these days!!!

Keep On Thumpin’! (And DUMPIN’!)
Lanny​:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

22 Likes

:rofl: I just choked on my coffee. Thanks!

10 Likes

I also have many hobbies, i play golf, i ride a bike, although not very often these days, and i haven’t used the wahoo kicker for a couple years, those into bikes know what that is.
I walk or run between 30-40klms per week to try and keep my fitness up. outdoors and on the treadmill( depends on the weather)
I am also involved with a car club that i have been a member of for over 20 years, have owned many different cars over the journey including a couple of Chevy Silverado’s, AMC Hornet sedans & Wagons, 72 Stingray big block, some early Holdens (Local Australian produced vehicles). These are the cars that i still have in my stable.

I also collect Bass guitars, one day i will do another family portrait and post.
I dabble on the drums, am currently learning to play the bagpipes (not easy)
and am still progressing on the bass.
In reality i would class myself as a jack of all trades but a master of none, just gotta keep on pushing :grinning:
Cheers Brian

27 Likes

My main hobby is boardgaming. I have a collection of a couple hundred now.
I also do voluntary cartography (mapping) for humanitarian purposes, although I have let that slide somewhat lately.
Finally learning to cook more and more dishes… so far wife gives thumbs up on that effort.

21 Likes

Cool thread.

My first biggest other hobby of course is playing saxophone (oh and collecting, surprise surprise). I have ~14, new family portrait coming soon as my last one to be restored is coming home. They are mostly all pre-WWII vintage silver plated Conn saxes, from sopranino to baritone.

Second hobby is my website CONNsortria, which catalogs all the saxophones and their engravings of CONN. Started as a fluke during the pandemic and now is a labor of love (plus I get to know where all the saxophones are, and who I can but them from). I do love digging into the history of these instruments and CONN. I learned and built the site from scratch, talk about rabbit holes!

I also do this side thing called Noise4NOLA, I donate instruments to kids in New Orleans (anything, from flutes to drums, trumpets to tubas, clarinets to guitars). Started that after Katrina ripped the city apart and destroyed thousands of instruments. I scour local shops and ads for instruments that can be fixed and through a friend in the Rebirth Brass Band who repairs them they find good homes. Have sent over 200 down so far, have a couple dozen in the garage awaiting departure.

I love to cook and bake, but run hot and cold with it. I will cook for days on end then stop cold. I used to do it way way more before picky kids made cooking less fun. I cooked professionally all through college and almost dropped out of engineering school to go to the CIA (Culinary Institute of America), until I realized the hours restaurant owners/chefs keep, so I bought all the textbooks instead. I love perfecting recipes in an “Alton Brown science meets art” sort of way.

Big New York Yankee fan and collect Yearbooks (need 3 more to have all that have ever been printed, 1950 to current). Don’t go to as many games of late, but they are still my team.

I am also big into genealogy. I have my fathers side traced back to the year 1009!

And lastly, my biggest hobby is eating. Honestly love nothing better than good food. When I travel for work the biggest chore is finding the best of the best food no matter where I travel. Doesn’t have to be fancy, just has to be great. I was a big craft beer guy too but dropped that after kidney stones and never got a taste back for it.

https://connsortia.com/

21 Likes

Cool thread.

Back in the US it was:

• flying (loved it, used to own part of a Cessna in a partnership, miss it)
  • sailing (lived aboard for a year, a lot of fun and good practice for small apartments!)
  • motorcycling (sportbikes, since I was 19)
  • computer games (also worked in the industry for a long time)

not really in any order :slight_smile:

After moving here, all the vehicular hobbies went by the wayside though. I haven’t been licensed to drive anywhere for more than a decade. So now, I am down to trying to stay in shape, and computer gaming.

And music of course.

18 Likes

Way cool thread!
I cook, but I write cookbooks for a living, so that’s not exactly a hobby.
I am, or was, a competitive shooter (like @Lanny). That stopped a while back when I fell through a ceiling and shattered my left heel & ankle. I can’t run & gun like I used to, so had to put that aside.
I’m a pretty good photographer & shoot some of the stuff for my books and articles, but the fancy stuff I leave to the well-paid pros.
I have done improv for the last five or six years and play on a team called Holodeck based out of Chapel Hill, NC, but we do comedy festivals up and down the east coast, or at least did when there were such things as comedy festivals :mask:
And for you gamers, I’m a pretty darn good GM, mostly running Savage Worlds and the Gumshoe system at conventions.
In short, like everyone else who has replied so far — nerd bassist :sunglasses:

21 Likes

Okay so we have horses or should I say rescue horses. Up to 12 now and until we relocate that’s all we have room for. As part of my therapy I check and fill water troughs every morning and then do the night hard feed. In between that there’s fences to repair, hay to get into paddocks, coats to brush, rugs to put on/ take off etc etc
I also like to mod motorcycles. I’m currently putting a wide rear wheel/tyre into an old Harley Softail . Enjoyable when it goes right but it can be really frustrating too.
I used to be a professional hunter with foxes being my favourite quarry but I’ve not done any of that for some time. I will be getting back into that hopefully again once we relocate all being well.
To be honest the horses take a majority of my time

15 Likes

Another mountain biker here, well retired of some sort, too many elitists in the sports. I have a couple of nasty spills and went back too early. If you think my bass collection is crazy my mountain bikes collection is even crazier, lol.

Before COVID I was a 4 handicap golfer who plays to a 2 at my private course. I have not hit a ball since. Sadly I’ll be playing with a visiting old friend at 6am tomorrow. I’m hoping for a bogey golf tomorrow, lol.

14 Likes

i love to cook too, but my wife is better at it then me. we also ride a couple of scooters. but my main other hobby is brewing beer with my dad.

11 Likes

*Well I am a dental assistant of 23 years forced into retirement due to an ankle injury that I have had 15 surgeries on.
*Although I am new to the bass at 51, I did play horribly in my 20’s.
*I make flowers out of sketch paper that look real. If I didn’t spread my time thin I would be making more.
*Since I am now disabled due to my accident, I do have lots of time on my hands to play my bass :slight_smile:
*For about 10 years I used to “roadie” and be the “merchandise hussy” with my friends band (we were puppies together). It was some of the happiest times of my life.
*I would LOVE to catch a live band for fun but my friends pretty much disappeared (married, kids, grandkids, sporting events, ect.) and I don’t want to be the wallflower by myself lol

12 Likes

Nice! I used to brew as well. I used to be part of the Greater Raleigh Area Brewing and Social Society. Why, yes, that does spell GRABASS and looked great on the t-shirt when we would enter contests :grin:

7 Likes

me and my dad entered one homebrewing contest when we first started to brew, a czech pilsner. won a gold medal. we never entered anything again, figured quit while we’re ahead. my dad put the medal into a little frame because… dad. :grin:

9 Likes

Like I mentioned, @LeftyChad and @itsratso , I used to home brew as well, mostly bitters and amber lagers. When I brewed a stout, my horses ended up drinking all of it, 'cause I couldn’t. I learned to brew when I worked as a hired hand in the brewing department of Sleeman Brewery in Guelph, ON.

9 Likes

Ahh yeah! I used to brew too. Super fun.

8 Likes

I wanted to learn Bass for many reasons. One of which is, I turned 50 this year. I’ve never really had indoor hobbies. I’ve always loved being outside. Which is how I ended up emigrating to Canada. However a lifetime of very poor decisions and risk taking is starting to add up. Multiple broken bones, torn ligaments, blown ACL’s, compressed vertebrae etc means that I have to dial it down a little (Various doctors orders!). Hence learning something that I can still do when I’m a lot older.

My sports are: winter - skiing (mainly ski touring with friends and the dog)

Spring - The snow melts, the rivers fill up so it’s whitewater kayaking season

Summer / Fall - Mountain biking

When I have to stop doing all these things I’m hoping I’ll still have music and what better time to start than now.

18 Likes

Ex homebrewer…drank too much!!!

Mostly a surfer but admittedly been a leanish year…hopefully improve 2nd half of year

8 Likes

@barney, AT Skiing is da bomb! Got into it when I was living in Euro-land, but when I moved back home all my eqpt got left over there. It was either bring the AT skis, or buy plane tickets for the kids.

6 Likes

@JustTim Be careful, @Gio has a custom built +15 DI of Rockage.

4 Likes