Other hobbies?

Oh yeah - very cool thread, who doesn’t like to bang on about their hobbies? :joy:. Well, I retired at 45 so I’ve had a little bit of time to accumulate hobbies - or, rather, I prefer to think of it as things I frickin’ love to do to purposefully use my time on this planet!

1. I’m a beekeeper - I have 12 hives (each named after women from my family, my partners family or good friends). I am also a member of my Beekeeping Club’s Swarm Team - so in spring (ie: right now) we will get called out to remove bee swarms from around my town.

2. I’m a Home Brewer and belong to a Home Brew club - we do advent calendars for Easter and Christmas. I have a three tap kegerator that gets filled and rolled out for parties we have (eg: We do a yearly “Dahlias in Bloom” party - see below). Also, whilst I love brewing and drinking beer, I have some strict rules around consumption, otherwise I’ll never get to any of my other “hobbies” :joy:.

3. I grow and breed Dahlias (the flower). I have over 80 varieties and around 130 plants. They are amazing!!! :hibiscus:

4. I play drums - in fairness this has taken a bit of a back seat since I picked up the bass, but as the weather warms up I intend to get back into it (the set is in my shed and is bloody freezing in winter).

5. I am a power lifter and train twice a week with a group who are aged between 40-75. I love it for the strength and social aspects - the older members of my group are amongst the most inspiring people I’ve ever met.

14 Likes

A bee keeper?! That is so cool and something I will certainly be looking into once we move. I may pick your brains nearer the time if that’s okay @Bassdacious ?

5 Likes

Anytime -I find working with bees a very meditative activity. Which area are you moving to? I’m around Ballarat way.

5 Likes

Hopefully Queensland @Bassdacious

5 Likes

Good choice!!

4 Likes

Anything is better than under the dictatorship here in Victoria :rage::rage:

4 Likes

I’ve done martial arts for the last 20 yrs i’m a 4th degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do and ran my own school, a brown belt in Karate, trained and instructed kick boxing, was promoted to purple belt in jiu jitsu a few years ago before covid made in impossible to train and at one time was ranked 6th in world for blue belt 55 and older. I dove back into music after we weren’t allowed to train so I replaced one vice with another.

15 Likes

Okay, dang, @Bassdacious, beekeeping for the win! I hope you occasionally combine your hobbies and make mead.
@Barney beautiful photos, stunning vistas and all, but mostly, that’s a darn good looking dog! My two idiots would wander off and come back with a bear thinking we could be friends.
Edited to add my two idiots:

10 Likes

You’re not wrong there @TNKA36 . I’m saying Queensland on the understanding we’re allowed to cross state lines :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

They look like angels not idiots @LeftyChad :joy:

3 Likes

Oh, I don’t know. We have a mentally deficient, overgrown man child pretending to be a grown-up who “runs” the country, and a bunch of well-meaning, but ultimately useless babes in the woods “in charge” of the provinces.

All in all, I currently would prefer to be in Oz, despoite the onerous and heavy-handed covid policies. I’ve always wanted to move down under, and in fact I was interviewing with a university in February 2020, and in between my 2nd and 3rd interview (already scheduled) was told they were no longer allowed to interview from abroad. So that was that.

6 Likes

Ha!
Though - hate to be a rules lawyer here, @eric.kiser - true to the official AD&D rules, I maxed out at +5.
Hellova DI, that one.
One day I’ll tell you of the epic quest that me and my party undertook to procure it…

8 Likes

You have assembled the DI of Seven Parts, but now must seek the correct connector cable, which your father’s mother’s brother’s cousin hid deep in the Mountain of Sadness! To find it, you must petition the gods of Sweetwater!

8 Likes

LoL! :rofl:

2 Likes

I guess I’m not the only geek around here. :smiley:

4 Likes

Not by a longshot…and geeks are cool now anyway.!

7 Likes

Good luck with getting into Qld atm. Im border bubble, no cases and still cant go across. Must be getting ready for elections???

3 Likes

It’ll be a wee while yet @derekmac .
I’m hoping things will eventually ease .
As for elections one can only hope. I’ve always had suspicions around certain politicians egos but the way they have and continue to act is shameful

5 Likes

I’ve been a pretty keen photographer for about 10 years now, making it into a few publications over this time

And I also love my fishing! But unfortunately right now with Sydney being in lockdown I can’t really go fishing or travel for photography. Luckily 6 weeks ago I discovered the bass and a week after that I found and signed up to Josh’s course. That’s kept me somewhat sane (and frustrated)

24 Likes

At least your premier is offering a positive plan out of lockdown, the wanker down here in Victoria is like a dictator, he has just lengthened ours for another 3 weeks, curfews etc, sorry I forgot to mention he has just allowed kids back in the park starting Friday, be it with only 1 parent??:thinking:

3 Likes

I have to say he does come.across as a bit of a tosser. You guys have had it much worse than us. We can see the light at the end of the tunnel

5 Likes