Ouchie, Newbie Needs Finger Fretting Tips

Great question @John_E . I only just learned about the different kinds of strings. What would you recommend for a newbie? Same for you @Wombat-metal --what kinds of strings would you recommend for newbies?

I agree. I’ve used this stuff when I worked construction out in the cold. It’s the best thing for cracked skin. I even have the Mrs. using it now.

1 Like

Feel like engaging in an inconclusive and inconcludable debate, much?

3 Likes

Yeah, we shouldn’t open that debate here again… all I want to say to @sue is, you should trust your ears rather than your fingers when it comes to strings - in the end, it is important what sound you want to get on your bass :smile:

3 Likes

Flats and rounds sound different, so it’s not much of a newbie question. You can do some research on Youtube for sound comparisons, etc. I have basses with either (thus the “I need another bass” journey excuse #3). Flats are easier on the hands for some, some others disagree. I am very partial to La Bella Deep Talking Bass 760FS flats, but that is just me (and others here too).

1 Like

Flats have a very vocal cult following online. Generally it’s a minority of players, but they do love them.

The sound is very different, as is the feel. Some like the feel of rounds better, some like flats better.

Here is the distribution here on Bassbuzz, which in my experience holds up with others I know:

Generally it’s about what kind of sound you’re after. Flats are good for a thumpy motown, old school R&B vibe. Rock and more modern styles typically favor rounds. There’s exceptions of course.

Really it’s all about what sounds and feels good to you. Because:

this will absolutely happen when you ask others their preferences. Don’t let anyone talk you in to either, both are equally good for new players. What matters is the sound and feel for you.

3 Likes

Yes, with the caveat that you can also trust your fingers. However, they have to be YOUR fingers.

2 Likes

sadly looks at his collection of fingers

3 Likes

This is a loaded question with no one answer. Is there a particular player you wish to emulate?

in general you have flats and rounds. Most players use rounds, so that is a safe place to start, with the understanding that your taste mught shift. I use D’Addario as a preferred brand.

LaBella is the leader in flats.

2 Likes

Hahaha @MC-Canadastan

So technically speaking, flats are jazzier/bluesier while rounds are brighter and thus more suitable for rock/metal?

Merci beaucoup for the recommendation!

@howard

That sold me :slight_smile:

That seems to be the general thrust. Then again, Jaco Pastorius used rounds on a fretless jazz bass, Steve Harris uses massive bridge truss cables… I mean heavy gauge flats. So, YMMV.

1 Like

Cool. @MC-Canadastan I’m going to give flats a try to compare and then let my ears decide :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have flats on a Jazz bass with la Bella flats on for the Motown sound. It’s kinda cool.

1 Like

I have La Bella flats on:
Squier super mod
Fender HMT Hollow Body
Gretsch Hollow Body
Traveller (they really help tame that piezo brittleness)
Fender CS 61 P (these are the 1954 Vintage heavy flats)
Testbed Ray 4 with the SIMs pickups (will flip flop with rounds as I go)
The TRBX504/Red&Gold Vintera P/EBMM BFR/Frank Bello/Rocco Prestia have rounds of various brands.

1 Like

I have the 1954 heavy flats on my Blue Jazz, and light D’Addario flats on my Jaguar PJ. I have rounds on my Aerodyne and Black Jazz in BEAD.

I am putting tapewounds on my new Sire V7 as I want to back off the brightness a bit, but not as far as flats. And stringing through the body.

I have a set of tapewounds for my Project Jaguar as well.

1 Like

If that’s the sound you want then flats are definitely a good way to go!

1 Like

I had tapes on my AE but sold it with them on.
I was thinking about trying them on the MHT hollow body once the electronics are swapped out.

Doh! Technically it’s a Fender Squire p-bass, hecho in China.