What strings are you playing? POLL

Let’s keep this simple, shall we? What is the type of string you are playing either on most of your (electric!) basses or on your main bass (and thus, most likely, constitutes your preferred type of string)?

Let us not worry about core types, tensions, brands and other minutiae here - please select from the list of main types below:

Preferred string type
  • Stainless steel roundwounds
  • Nickel roundwounds
  • Coated roundwounds
  • Half-rounds
  • Tapewounds
  • Flatwounds
  • Other
  • Not sure/haven’t made up my mind yet

0 voters

Your participation might help settle some ongoing arguments and/or confirm or reject persistent myths :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

17 Likes

Great idea for a poll, Jörg! . . . :+1:

Let’s settle this once and for all . . . we wouldn’t want any arguments :wink:

Cheers
Joe

9 Likes

too soon to gloat but:

:rofl:

10 Likes

Hold on. Hold on. What you currently have on your bass and what you want to have on your bass are different. Stop the count! :upside_down_face:

I put I wasn’t sure, because I’m not sure. But my current bass came with roundwounds and I haven’t changed them. Actually, I just realized I’ve had the same set of roundwounds on my bass for a year and a half and it could have been in the shop before that for who knows how long… oops…

9 Likes

I think we should reject any votes for roundwounds and stop the count because there is obviously some sort of fault with the counting mechanism. I mean, flatwounds won by a landslide. It was a really great turnout for flatwounds, really great. Roundwounds are stealing the vote.

25 Likes

:rofl:

10 Likes

My mother and my father just voted for flat wounds. I told them if they didn’t, I wouldn’t put any more flowers on their graves.

17 Likes

I just put flatwounds on my main bass, but to be fair I had roundwounds for 12+ years. My side bass also has rounds

9 Likes

:joy: at the replies!

Had to look up what the GHS Bass Boomers were (nickel rounds). I do mean to try the EB Cobalts, I guess those would just go in the coated category…
Won’t do flats again, well half rounds really, unless I have 2 (or more basses). I gotta have that round sound.

8 Likes

I went ahead and filled this out, but make sure you check your mail before closing the poll.

12 Likes

There is no selection for BOTH.

10 Likes

That’s a really good point!

6 Likes

No poll is perfect… and if you are a true 50/50 player, then I apologize for forcing you to be pidgeon-holed :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

-Jörg (he/his/him/round)

12 Likes

GHS boomers are the only strings Flea will use now.

8 Likes

The most important thing I’ve learned about stings is that @PamPurrs hates corduroy! :joy:

Interesting poll @joergkutter.

10 Likes

Just to add fuel to fire!

But really this is about the most well reasoned description possible.

7 Likes

:joy:

this thread is inspired

10 Likes

19 Likes

This thread wasn’t really meant for discussing actual or perceived pros and cons of the various strings here (plenty of other threads for that)… just a plain show of hands :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

9 Likes

you know which STRINGS are BEST HANDS DOWN???

The ones on YOUR favorite bass that you play most.

Mine happens to be
Nickel Rounds first
Coated rounds second

7 Likes