Overdid it :(

Bad day at office yesterday meant i took today off. Played bass for prob 4 hrs over the day. My left hand is totally charlie-horsing from my last pick session, my left forearm feels like i did a full day of those hand cruncher things, and i can barely lift my shoulder… Think i will need a little break from playing for a day or so.

13 Likes

:frowning:

5 Likes

aw :frowning: well, hopefully while you sleep and recuperate your brain will cross-mojinate and do the rewiring thing so that things you practiced become more betterer and easier.

5 Likes

@Koldunya Nice. I’m giving myself 24 hours to use cross-mojinate in a conversation.

@Old_WannaBe Assuming you didn’t do any permanent damage, that actually sounds pretty awesome. :sunglasses: :+1:

5 Likes

I feel you. After last year injury I overdid bass playing during recuperating, so now my shoulder pops out from the socket when I play too fast. …

3 Likes

Back in my younger years ( say my early teens), I would play till my fingers bled.
Today, I need to rest up those forearms and hands after long (1.5 to 2 hours) practice.
Rest up these hands Old_Noob!!!
Your bass will be there waiting for you later.

-Doc

3 Likes

That must have been in the summer of '69 :crazy_face:

8 Likes

Was that when you bought your first real six string?

6 Likes

Tangent, but this is a good homage to Summer of 69…Summer of 89…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUUCJuU3l9E

2 Likes

Ice packs and foam roller/massages to get the lactic acid out of the muscle and recover

2 Likes

Yep, my first jap Les Paul.
Even into my early 20s, I would play till I couldn’t.

Im truly certain that the arthritis in my hands started right there.

1 Like

It might have been! Lol!

1 Like

LOL I was going to say that too!

I know exactly what you mean @Old_WannaBe
I went through that last weekend when I was playing “Don’t Close Your Eyes” on Yousician, only my left elbow was bothering me too. I’ve found that sometimes you have a tendency to ignore anything else just to get a bassline right and you don’t pay attention to the time. I had to stop when I couldn’t even lift the BB G4 with my left hand.

2 Likes

I spent most of the day tying to nail Royal Oil by the Bosstones. Baseline is quite fast and mostly running 16th note triads through the whole song…quite the workout.

2 Likes

I’m too slow for something like that song, but you did the same thing I did…kept trying to nail it. I always say “I’ll get it right this time” and you make one little mistake and you keep repeating yourself. “I can DO this”. Before you know it, you’re 2 hours in.

4 Likes

Isn’t that the worst—you are 3/4 of the way in and mess up and need to start over. Then you get frustrated and start messing up at the beginning. Need to force yourself to step away and relax…but I am by nature a high-strung perfectionist, so that rarely works “in the moment.”

3 Likes

That’s EXACTLY that…I guess it’s all about moderation. Some of the vets around here would probably tell us to not press so much.

2 Likes

and my old clarinet professor would say something like: “One cannot achieve excellence without suffering.”

2 Likes

LOL yeah there’s that too!

1 Like