Pam and John's "How To Record Yourself" Parts 1 & 2 (Audio & Video)

What I would recommend doing is leave the amp completely out - record clean into the DAI. To hear yourself, you want to direct monitor off the DAI, if the DAI supports it. You can do this either with headphones or monitor speakers.

You also want to set the DAI as your sound output device so that the computer audio plays through it.

Finally, disable track monitoring in the DAW on your bass track so you don’t get phasing.

Now you can hear everything, with no latency on your instrument.

3 Likes

Correct, if you want the tonal characteristics of your amp in your mix, your amp needs an XLR Line out that goes to your DAW. Some amps have USB connections that would act as a DAI as well into a DAW.
You really don’t need your amp to record yourself, but without that XLR line out, you must listen to yourself record in headphones, or, via studio monitors that plug into the back of the Focusrite 2i2, or via your computer sound.
I don’t find, in general, that recording with your amp’s preamp in the path, is very useful. I like to go in clean from my bass and other effects, but I have an amp that is very clean, on purpose.

2 Likes

CAVEAT: I would not worry about ANY of this until you are comfortable recording, but when you want to get a little more advanced:

Honestly it sounds a lot better to just use an amp and cab sim in the DAW after recording a clean bass track, than to try and record with an amp. Plus you can then tweak the amp settings all you want after recording; you can’t do that if you record through a real amp. A little more advanced, but really something everyone should learn how to do, IMO.

Here’s a nice free amp sim, sounds very tubey:

and the corresponding free cab sim:

There’s better ones but for free those are quite good. Ignite makes good stuff.

Of course, to use these you need to learn a little more about how using plugins in your DAW works - basically you add these as effects on the bass track, amp sim followed by cab sim. This is something everyone should learn eventually though because the huge majority of music production software is implemented as DAW plugins like this.

Once you do this, you can record clean bass and yet still have a very nice tube amp sound.

These are all fundamental things that will be good to learn once you master basic recording and editing.

1 Like

@jtaylor801 … please know you can record yourself without worrying about plugins for now (or forever). They are one option for tonal characterization. As @howard reco’s, focus on getting yourself recorded in a reasonable way first, bells and whistles can come later if they move you.

2 Likes

Absolutely. The key thing to take away here is that if you learn how to record the clean bass well by going straight in to the DAI, which is way less complicated than trying to put an amp into the mix and still have it sound good, you will still have ways to get really cool amp tone later if you want.

The same is true of other effects as well. I really recommend just getting good at recording the bass clean in to the DAI first.

2 Likes

I will leave this here as an example for the kind of difference we are talking about, though - as an example of what you can do with clean recordings. You don’t need to worry about losing amp tone long term :slight_smile:

Clean recording, my bass and my bandmate’s guitar:

With amp and cab sim added to bass and guitar:

Basically, don’t worry about recording dry - you can do a lot with that tone later if you want. Getting the technique down to record clean bass is the most important fundamental first step.

3 Likes

I use Garageband as my DAW - do you know if can you use plugins in GB? Now that I’m definitely, definitely not buying any more basses, I will turn my mind to improving my recording game.

3 Likes

Indeed you can :slight_smile:

In fact it comes with some, and can add amp sims automatically to tracks for you. Not sure how good they are but I know they are there.

You may already have an amp sim on your track in GB. In general, GB is very friendly this way.

2 Likes

Right, thanks … Rabbit Hole, open your door!!

4 Likes

It’s a very very deep rabbit hole indeed. Playing with the builtins is probably the best first step, before heading to PluginBoutique with a credit card :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks all for the helpful information. My main concern was how I would go about hearing myself play without the amp and @howard 's tip about setting the DAI as the sound output device has answered that. So that is what I plan to do. New DAI is on the way from Amazon. Thanks again to all. This is a great community.

4 Likes

Loved this tutorial, RX8 is probably out of my price range ATM so I looked into Transcribe + for PC. So now I am confused because when I try and download it takes me to Transcribe! Not +. Hoping you can point me in the right direction?
Cheers
Ian

3 Likes

@PamPurrs Could you see my previous message?

3 Likes

I can see it. It’s midnight in the US so it may be a while before Pam does.

4 Likes

They are two different things. Transcribe + is an app for mobile and the one you are looking for. Not sure if it’s PC based as well. O

4 Likes

Note that you would not want to buy RX8 regardless of price; RX9 was just released (and some places are still selling RX8 despite this).

There’s introductory and upgrade deals going on right now. For example:

4 Likes

RX is a lot of power with a lot of other features btw. Not needed for simply removing bass for sure.

5 Likes

Absolutely. It’s a professional level audio touch-up tool, full version is like a grand or so. The fact that it can remove a bassline is kind of incidental to its main use :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Behind its user interface, RX8 uses this: GitHub - deezer/spleeter: Deezer source separation library including pretrained models.
If you have a bit of a coding background, you can use it directly, or use this online UI someone created: https://splitter.ai

Results still might differ from what Izotope RX8 achieves, they might have trained Spleeter with their own stems.

5 Likes

@ian.cossart1 I have never used Transcribe + but from what I understand, it’s strictly a phone app.

2 Likes