PamPurrs the bass teacher? (NOT)

My daughter won an Ibanez bass in some online drawing and asked me to teach her how to play it. I am not qualified to teach bass, but I feel obligated to help her get started. She’s coming over to my house tomorrow and I have designed a 3-part curriculum for her:

Part one: I will show her some of the basics such as how to hold the bass, how to pluck, how to fret and where to set her beer while she’s practicing. This should take about 20 minutes.

Part two: I will fire up the big screen tv and chromecast the B2B course, starting from the very first lesson. This will give her a taste of how to learn the bass from a real master, @JoshFossgreen .

Part three: I will show her how to sign up for the B2B course.

This completes my training program.

37 Likes

I would add…

Part four: Show her all the sites to buy bass gear, more basses, etc, how to get the best deals, and where not to bother with.

14 Likes

Excellent. Keep the young lady on the path to bass excellence

8 Likes

On the amp of course! :+1:

I too may have a young paduan - I’m lending a friend’s daughter my Ibanez and amp to try and wean her off guitar playing. In return I’m borrowing her acoustic guitar, covered with boy band stickers. Hopefully I can get her into some good habits but probably not the beer :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Actually, I was going to suggest she join the forum. I figured you guys would take care of filling her up with GAS :rofl:

11 Likes

It’s a shame there’s no chili bass :smiley:

6 Likes

That’s awesome. What I usually like to do is find out a collection of songs she/ he likes. Usually, unless they are a big Rush or king crimson fan, I could usually find a simple song to teach them in the first lesson.

A quick show of where the notes are and dive right into the song section breakdown is the fastest way to get over the jitters and the nerves.

7 Likes

Brava! Great introductory curriculum.

But forget directing her to venues for buying more basses. Instead, direct her where to buy better beer. :beers:

7 Likes

Found one.

Flea Signature bass.

6 Likes

I’m sure she’s got the best teacher on your block if not in your whole neighborhood!

5 Likes

Pam’s house looks like a giant Rumble speaker. Can’t get any better than that :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

I had forgotten about the Flea Bass! Yeah it’s a Chili!

6 Likes

I like your method @PamPurrs

5 Likes

Yup!

10 Likes

You’re going to do fine teaching her, Pam. I wouldn’t worry at all.

5 Likes

Mission accomplished! You should be seeing her around the forum soon.

20 Likes

Nice work!

6 Likes

Oh, so the beers actually not supposed to go on the amp (I’ve been doing the same thing @Ed, I’m guessing the heat from the amp warms the beer up too fast?..)

In all seriousness, I learned a bunch of things from watching one “how to record yourself” tutorial you and @John_E made, so you can definitely teach, looks like she’s off to a great start!

7 Likes

@dlamson13 oooo you could have a point there. Plus the vibration probably flattens it

5 Likes

The beer goes a lot farther down your gullet than it does sitting on an amp. Just saying.

9 Likes