Pedals, what’s a good starting point?

That’s short for @joergkutter :joy: (already changed it, haha)

2 Likes

I was just teasing you, Paul. It is just a common (and understandable) misconception that my first name be “Joe”… while instead it’s “Joerg” (or Jörg in not-so-international-keyboard-friendly form) :smile:

4 Likes

oh, I already tried all these effects, but I’m really not a fan of chorus and flanger. I can like a phaser, and I had a modded Boss PH-2 but I finally sold it and I don’t miss it much … if I want one of these effects, I have them all on my PODs, it’s more than enough for me.

with a bass, I never use anything else than overdrives and compressors (sometimes EQs but rarely). I use the reverb only with guitars.

2 Likes

To say a little more about this, my preamp/DI box that’s joined at the hip to OD/Fuzz doesn’t get used as a DI at all. It could if it had an effects loop to put modulation/reverb, but it doesn’t. The tone controls on the preamp/DI come before the OD/Fuzz section, so they get used to select which frequency range gets pushed the hardest into OD. If only recording it would be done, but for going to an amp it’s nice to have another EQ stage to clean up what comes out of the effect chain. In my case the amp head is another preamp/DI integrated to power amp, so that’s where it happens.

1 Like

^^ This. I prefer it after too.

3 Likes

I put the moduation effects before amp/cabsims because sometimes they can add highs that are best tamed by the cabsim but sound cool through the ampsim. YMMV.

2 Likes

Me too.
Although I’m actually a lot clearer after @terb post. Thank you

3 Likes

Yes.
I thought my Sansamp was broken until I figured this out :joy:
Actually that should read read the instructions after being like a kid at Christmas and just excitedly plugging stuff in

2 Likes

I’ve decided to go with adding an overdrive and distortion pedals instead of the GT-1B on the pedalboard and just use the GT-1B at home.

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ve taken a look at it could be in contention.

2 Likes

Yeah, I guess I am just too stuck in my way of doing things, and couldn’t “see” the other ways… (I.e., couldn’t see the woods because of all the trees!)
I always plug my bass into my amp, and have the entire pedal board going through the effects loop. There are of course more common ways to do signal chains :smile:

2 Likes

Your one step ahead of me then @joergkutter
Up until buying the Sansamp I plugged my bass into my amp :joy:

2 Likes

actually it depends what you have on your pedalboard :slight_smile: but if you have at least one distorsion/overdrive, you really should put it before the preamp

2 Likes

You are right (of course :smile:), but I guess I am the total opposite of you - no distortion, only modulation on my pedal board (and a tuner and a booster) :wink:

3 Likes

I’m not surprised at all :grin:

3 Likes

I know :joy:

4 Likes

I bought these low profile cables from Amazon, and they worked out really well on my pedalboard. They are more flexible than the ones I was previously using, and really do save some space when the jacks are on the side.

2 Likes

Hi all!
I have a side-question: does anybody use a larger pedalboard just for commodity sake?
Examples:

• Having both the TRS cables rolled up inside the pedalboard, always connected to the input and the output of the chain, and ready to be unfold and plugged to the bass and the cab respectively
  • Same for the balanced cable from the DI-Box: ready to be unfold and plugged into the soundcard when at home
  • Having the power cable always attached and ready to be plugged into the wall
  • Having an extra multi-socket extension cord rolled up, so that you can provide power also to your amp and/or band mates near you on stage / rehearsal room
  • etc.

I think I would love to grab one single flycase and go, knowing that all my extra-accessories are always there in one single place. Yeah, aiming at the total-lazy-bassist perfection here :joy:

Thanks for any thought on this - still a total newbie here, and currently sporting only one Zoom B2 Four multiFX, without any pedalboard, but very interested in this topic!

1 Like

You could check this thread for inspiration:

2 Likes

I have a big (er) pedalboard and case. The Pedaltrain Classic 2. You could fit a couple cables in the case but it’s already pretty snug to keep anything from jostling around.

When you get to that point, you’re going to want a gig bag for stuff like extra cables, extra batteries, emergency food, etc.

2 Likes