Pedals, what’s a good starting point?

Yeah but don’t you want delay/reverb between your amp and cab sim? Good to hear that you can also place it after.

1 Like

it’s even better in my opinion. a real reverb (a big room) acts after a cab, after all.

but that’s a small detail, as a cab sim is not intended to add distorsion :slight_smile:

3 Likes

To elaborate a bit on this. I think you can use the GT for a specific zone. So for example you invest a lot in comps and dirt pedals but couldn’t care less for reverb and delay. In that case you can use a “cheap” modeller/multi-fx pedal for all those needs.

So what you could do is decide a “zone” for your multi-fx unit based on the diagram John shared earlier. So for example you can have 2 different signal paths depending on where you place the GT:

Path 1:
Tuner > Comp > EQ > GT (dynamics) > Chorus* > Preamp
Tuner > Comp > EQ > GT (dirt) > Chorus* > Preamp

Path 2:
Tuner > Comp > EQ > Preamp > Chorus* > GT (modify tone)
Tuner > Comp > EQ > Preamp > Chorus* > GT (repeat/ambience)

** putting the chorus before or after the preamp or GT is up to you (depending where you want your DI, looper, etc.).

My initial point is that you can cover a few missing pedals with the GT, but I also agree with @joergkutter that it’s much better to go with something more small factor.

Hope this makes sense!

2 Likes

Yeah that makes sense. What do you think about the position for phaser, flanger and chorus in relation to the amp/cab?

1 Like

they go just before reverb and delay in my train.
Delay then reverb are dead last.
YMMV

3 Likes

I agree with that John, I edited my message a little bit because that is not what I want to know. Where do you put your preamp?

1 Like

no idea really, as I never use those effects. sorry …

3 Likes

How dare you!

Haha no worries. I would recommend giving Chorus a shot. It sounds great (especially with a pick) and is often used in metal too (usually subtle, but it sounds great in combination with a bit of drive/distortion).

1 Like

Since the GT has your loop function, anything sound you want to be a part of loop but not part of everything needs to go before it.

1 Like

Yup - thanks, Laurent!

2 Likes

Who’s Joe?? :wink:

But, yes, I thought indeed that using the GT “just” for that might be a bit of a waste (if nothing else, of real estate on your pedalboard :grin:)

1 Like

That’s short for @joergkutter :joy: (already changed it, haha)

2 Likes

I was just teasing you, Paul. It is just a common (and understandable) misconception that my first name be “Joe”… while instead it’s “Joerg” (or Jörg in not-so-international-keyboard-friendly form) :smile:

4 Likes

oh, I already tried all these effects, but I’m really not a fan of chorus and flanger. I can like a phaser, and I had a modded Boss PH-2 but I finally sold it and I don’t miss it much … if I want one of these effects, I have them all on my PODs, it’s more than enough for me.

with a bass, I never use anything else than overdrives and compressors (sometimes EQs but rarely). I use the reverb only with guitars.

2 Likes

To say a little more about this, my preamp/DI box that’s joined at the hip to OD/Fuzz doesn’t get used as a DI at all. It could if it had an effects loop to put modulation/reverb, but it doesn’t. The tone controls on the preamp/DI come before the OD/Fuzz section, so they get used to select which frequency range gets pushed the hardest into OD. If only recording it would be done, but for going to an amp it’s nice to have another EQ stage to clean up what comes out of the effect chain. In my case the amp head is another preamp/DI integrated to power amp, so that’s where it happens.

1 Like

^^ This. I prefer it after too.

3 Likes

I put the moduation effects before amp/cabsims because sometimes they can add highs that are best tamed by the cabsim but sound cool through the ampsim. YMMV.

2 Likes

Me too.
Although I’m actually a lot clearer after @terb post. Thank you

3 Likes

Yes.
I thought my Sansamp was broken until I figured this out :joy:
Actually that should read read the instructions after being like a kid at Christmas and just excitedly plugging stuff in

2 Likes

I’ve decided to go with adding an overdrive and distortion pedals instead of the GT-1B on the pedalboard and just use the GT-1B at home.

3 Likes