Pedals, what’s a good starting point?

I am pretty fluent with editing and creating chains.

I kind of misunderstood something you were saying. I thought you said that the Markbass was a created patch that you could Upload to the Zoom. I didn’t realize it was already in there. That’s why I thought I was limited in trying outside patches that are not already on it.

Otherwise, yeah, I have analyzed it and dissected it and created my own chains, and copy edited some standard ones.
Yes, it’s a powerful little tool, and I love it and get a lot out of it. The only limitations are physical, it is a multi box, not a bunch of pedals and amps / cabs

2 Likes

you’d like at least one buffered pedal in your chain, especially if you have multiple pedals, and in that case it’s better to have your buffer at the beginning. having a buffered tuner as @howard says is a good idea.

that said, my tuner is true bypass and that’s fine, as the pedal I have just after is buffered. its more or less the same thing.

the big mistake would be to a have 10 true bypass pedals and no buffer.

and keep in mind that, if your bass is active, it acts as a buffer anyway.

3 Likes

Thanks again @howard

2 Likes

Thanks guys, what is the specific verbiage used in spec sheets to look for for the buffered bypass. I don’t recall seeing that before, but I also have not been looking for it specifically.

Anybody know if the Snark has it?
This is good, I did not know that part, and glad to see more value coming from a tuner.

1 Like

if it’s not proudly writen “true bypass”, it’s buffered. easy.

4 Likes

Black and white. Good to know. Thanks @terb

1 Like

there are a few exceptions, some pedals are neither true bypass or buffered. it’s the case of the original Cry Baby and Vox wah pedals for example, but it’s rare and the current pedals are either buffered or true bypass.

3 Likes

…and sometimes even if it is :laughing:

3 Likes

Haven’t said it yet but it’s awesome that you’re starting to explore this, @T_dub - going deep into effects has been super fun for me and there’s just so much cool stuff to explore and learn.

2 Likes

Yes, the Zoom has a mute setting for the tuner (or at least that is what the manual mentions).

Alternatively, I find this a very good tuning solution, and the cost is ridiculously low:

1 Like

Thanks @howard.

I found the mute setting, and have one of those @peterhuppertz

1 Like

So while looking around and deciding on a couple pedals that I know I wanted, I bought a couple because they were the last ones offered for $29, all other sellers were $45 and up, some with hefty shipping fees. They were Amazon prime, and can go back if I don’t want. I just didn’t want to miss out because Behringer seems to be out of stock everywhere, with few options available.

Both have been reviewed as direct copies of the Boss standard pedals.

I got the Behringer tuner and Octiver.

Since I was already placing an order, I went ahead and got two other pedals, a pack of patch cables, and a power supply.

I got the Kokko compressor that was highly rated in the G&G video @howard posted in another thread, and the Mooer Sweeper, because after watching Demo’s, it sounds so cool.

Again, I may not like any of them, and they may all go back, but I will have fun with them, and learn quite a bit I believe.

I am also going to order the Behringer Vtone BDI-21 from GC today as well. I know I want and need that one, if nothing more then a headphone amp to leave at my daughters house. But I know it will be much more then that :wink:

1 Like

Unfortunately the BDI-21 doesn’t have a headphone out. The Zoom does though (or at least mine did, not sure about the B1four.

2 Likes

It does:

2 Likes

Oh damn @howard, I thought it did🤬

Yes, the B14 does. Oh well, I will find a use, and a way.

1 Like

If that’s the case, I may be taking the Zoom to my daughters house, and using the pedals, the BDI-21 thru my amp and into headphones then.
Or just get her a little practice amp, or a zoom of her own. There is a Kong bass multi fox on Let Go for $25. I bet that has headphones out. Or I should say, I hope it does.

1 Like

@howard. You mentioned the TC Electronics Chorus pedal named Corona. Do you know this pedal well? I saw reviews of it with Bass on YouTube, and I was impressed.

But the reason I ask, is, while buying my daughter a strap for her bass today, at the local guitar pawn shop, they had a NIB one for $49.99, and even tho that is half price, I may get it for $40 or $45 if I asked.
Just wondering what you and others think of that pedal. I wasn’t gonna get a chorus pedal, but again, I found a deal that’s hard to pass.

I have not used a real one but I know it from playing with its model on the Zoom, which I liked. You have a model of that pedal on your Zoom you can try out.

It has a good reputation as well.

1 Like

The Corona is on the Zoom? Man, I need to memorize what pedals are modeled on it.
I guess it would boil down to the tone print if I already have it. I don’t know that I heard much difference between the ones they reviewed on YouTube. I will have to watch again and pay closer attention to see weather that is worth it or not.

Without wishing to look like a total banana :banana: are the four pedals T_Dub first posted a good starting point?
And what if any difference will having an active bass make?
TIA

3 Likes