Pick guard recommendation

I am waiting for my new black player jazz bass with factory white pick guard to arrive.
I’m thinking of switching to a white pearl, aged pearl, or a cream pearl pick guard. If anyone in the group has either combination, I would love it if you could post a picture. The white pearl looks the cleanest, but the other two option seem to have more character. Thanks.

1 Like

Check out this thread. Players with black basses have been faced with having to make this choice many times.

1 Like

Thanks for that link.

1 Like

If it were me I would go with Tort on Black or Black on Black.

3 Likes

Too dark for me. I want more of a contrast

1 Like

Aged pearl fan here

2 Likes

Tort on black looks great.

2 Likes

If it were me, I’d go no pick guard with colored strings. Or bubinga-most woods look cool against black.

Nope, nope, nope.

1 Like

:rofl: looks like I hit a nerve! lol Colored strings (maroon or green) look cool against all black–we are only talking about looks right?

:+1: I’m probably gonna go with aged pearl

1 Like

Black on black can look amazing. Always been a fan of the Fender MIJ P-Bass Noir.

2 Likes

Just a matter of personal taste. I wouldn’t put colored strings on anything, much less a bass I liked.

2 Likes

I just replaced the brown tort pickguard on my (antique) white Squier Classic Vibe jazz bass with this one:

I’ll bet it looks great on black as well, but if you don’t like it, they have several other colors available. Perfect fit, highly recommend.

2 Likes

I have Mint on my black Jazz. This comes as a standard one.
In my opinion, it looks great:

4 Likes

That definitely looks nicer than the OG white

1 Like

That brand has some nice color options. Unfortunately the pick guards have a truss rod cut out by the neck. My bass has it on the headstock so it’s not gonna work

If you don’t get too hung up on that tiny detail @walshwerks2020 then there are lots more interesting options out there than just some kind of off white. My recent Jazz Bass build used a guard with a cut out and I don’t notice it.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/STORMGUITAR?section_id=33103619

If you want one without the cutout I’ve also used these guys.

3 Likes

Those are interesting options thanks for the links.
I’m kind of old school. Silver Sparkle would be as flashy as I would venture LOL

2 Likes

Exactly. The cut out is very small and hardly noticeable.

Vintage pearl it is then :wink:

2 Likes