Pick to Fingers

Coming over to Bass from Guitar, I have always favoured the pick and in fact I completed the whole Bad Ass course using just the pick. I can play reasonably fast and I enjoy the sound.

I am branching out and looking at being able to play a wider variety of music and I can no longer ignore the fingers. I have decided to do the complete course again from the start just using fingers and hopefully I will end up a more rounded and competent bassist.

So far so good I am picking it up well.

15 Likes

I played guitar for years (admittedly I haven’t touched mine in 15 years at this point). I forced myself to do the whole course the first time with fingers and I’m glad I did. I feel at least, if not more comfortable now playing with fingers than I do a pick. I do use use them, but I do it more where it makes sense to be using a pick rather than trying to force it.

4 Likes

I used a pick for guitar for decades. I also used a pick when I played bass in a rock band.

Over 20 years ago, I learned fingerstyle guitar.

But I’ve always admired jazz bassists, so I signed up for B2B to learn finger plucking. Josh made it easy and fun, and now it’s my go-to way to play.

5 Likes

I see what you did there.

3 Likes

I just had this thought and mentioned it on one of the post last night. I’m trying to get more serious learning time on guitar hopefully generating enough escape velocity to get away from the novice/ newbie’s stage.

I’m trying to decide between using pick or not using pick as there are plenty of great guitarists who don’t use picks. Also the tone that can be generated without using picks.

As for you playing bass you can definitely start with the thumb. Not only it shares the same motion as picking action but it also allows you to develop the palm muting technique as well as simplify the process by not starting with index and middle finger.

1 Like

One of the most emotive guitarists I’ve ever heard is a guy named Chris Buck. His dynamic control is masterful. He has an interesting right hand style where he always holds a pick, but usually plays with fingers. He uses the pick when appropriate, fingers when appropriate, just depending on the sound he’s trying to get.

He’s also a Revstar guy these days.

Thanks. @fennario
That’s definitely a style I want to learn. It doesn’t look like he’s using his nails which is a good thing.

Obviously, at least for me I want to grow up to be like this kid. Also another RevStar player

I have ridiculous amount of guitars for someone who plays very few songs I just love Strats

This is what I’ve been playing for the last few days. It’s breaking in the fingers for me, :rofl:

1 Like

Yeah, Matteo is ridiculously good! And that’s a sweet Godin!

1 Like

Yeah, I love it. Although, it’s nowhere what my friends told me about playing a nylon string guitar. He said it’s so soft it’s like playing on a cooked spaghetti. My fingers were throbbing playing on 9s, I said sold. :joy:

2 Likes

I know a guy buying a Revstar entirely based on Buck.

2 Likes

I got severe blisters from my nylon-string guitar when I was teaching myself to play at age 14.

Nylon strings are soft and forgiving, but they’re also deceptive in making you think they’re softer than your fingertips. Fingers will lose every time until you’ve toughened them over a long time of practice. There is no free lunch. :adhesive_bandage:::adhesive_bandage::adhesive_bandage::adhesive_bandage:

1 Like

If I buy a RevStar it would be based on you @howard

1 Like

I made a mistake of buying a Jazz tape wound string (guitar). I bought 2 one black one white, installed the black one on my Traveler EG-1 custom before I could even play the string broke, turns out it’s for arch top guitars.

What’s the difference?

On an archtop, you usually shouldn’t go lighter than 013-056.

I had a 1940s Gibson archtop. It was a single-pickup student model (read, inexpensive). I bought it used. I played the hell out of it as my main axe for years, but never plugged in. The neck on it was a slim, slim dream.

1 Like

dawwwwww thanks Al :rofl:

1 Like