Pickup foam and/or springs?

installing my Aguilar pickup into my ray4 and wondering about best practices by way of foam, springs, both? i got some cheap mousepads to cut up and they are way too stiff/not squishy enough to allow for the pickup to sit firmly but still be adjustable. then i got some ‘high density foam weatherstripping’ and that seems way way too squishy to keep the pup in place. at the moment i have the white foam that the pickup was shipped in folded up underneath but wondering if that will deteriorate/lose height? (pic attached)

my screws were stripped so i have some coming from amazon that also come with springs (was impossible to find 1.5" #4 screws anywhere in person), but have read that springs can be noisy and ‘bouncy’.

edit: also if there is a specific kind of foam that is dense but gives a bit would love to know what to google for.

my first ever mod so trying to do this more or less right the first time.

1 Like

A couple luthiers states they stay away from springs due to added resonances you don’t want.

Stew Mac sells pickup foam which I buy and works well. They also have pickup screws. Amazon sells both but I no experience with their foams.

Local GC MIGHT have both. Call over to Jefferson road and ask.

Home Depot weatherstripping might work as well but won’t have screws.

Other option is IV tubing (can find in Stew Mac and then same on Amazon) around screws to act like springs IF pickup and cover are one piece.

3 Likes

I like this type they are pretty easy to lo live with if not just a block foam is good for me. If it’s more vintage then the pickup height is usually lower and I don’t usually have the need to move it up modern pickups, especially sealed ones like EMG allows you to put the pickups all the way close to the strings, having a more forgiving cushion is definitely nice.

2 Likes

It seems to me that what is sold as “pickup foam” is just neoprene self adhesive strip, or weather strip, or foam tape. You could try searching for that.

4 Likes

indeed some are very close if not identical - widths might be different esp for P pickups

2 Likes

Amazon sells a kit of springs for Performer basses that has longer screws and springs. I have been using them and aside from being somewhat of a pain to get the first hole lined up they are working great. The trick is to push the pjckup with springs and screws on way down in the pocket and the screws will find home. Not as easy as it sounds as the springs are strong. Your pickups will stand at Attention when done. Works with all Fenders I have tried.

1 Like