Pinky finger

Pinky: The stereotypical youngest child in any family with 2 or more children.

After I got that mental image in my head I started thinking about the ring finger. Who is that? Probably the underaccomplished middle child/loser who no one expects ever to actually do anything.
Yep. That seems about right.

3 Likes

Yes, @JoshFossgreen does reply on here, as do we all.

Welcome to the forum @lee.bramham . If you click on the magnifying glass icon in the upper right corner, you can search for all the many threads on that very topic.

Enjoy your time here. Don’t worry about your pinky, it’ll come around :smile_cat:

3 Likes

@lee.bramham
Don’t fret! Your pinky will get stronger and you’ll build dexterity through practice. As you can see in the comments, many of us have had this challenge.
Just keep playing and enjoy your journey.

3 Likes

Ambigious advice.
I think he should fret. Especially with his pinky.

(sorry. Could not resist)

5 Likes

@juli0r
Valid!

3 Likes

@lee.bramham the exerciser I posted on this thread is helping me with weak left hand fingers
How to strengthen left hand - #13 by Mark_UK

2 Likes

Do they do one for the right hand? :wink:

That’s great Mark, thank you

4 Likes

@lee.bramham: I can’t choose between two possible answers.

1. Nope. Just flip your bass over, you southpaw you. :laughing:
  2. Yes, it’s called a bass guitar. I seem to remember seeing that you may have one or two. :stuck_out_tongue:
3 Likes

FYI- the magnifying glass does not show up using my iPhone unless I turn my phone to landscape mode. You may know this but it took me a little while to figure it out.

4 Likes

Hi Lee and welcome. I posted on this topic not that long ago and my pinky is so much stronger already. And it is even cooperating with the other fingers and not flying around as I run (crawl) through scales. I practice every day and it has helped a lot.

So hang in there. It does get better! Best wishes to you!!!

6 Likes

Hey Lee, I sure do! Just type @ and my name like this @JoshFossgreen otherwise I might miss your question.

And my pinky is only 2 and 7/8", for the record. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Wait, @JoshFossgreen, we might be from the same planet of creatures with alien spider fingers. I never felt the need to measure my pinky prior to now, but I came out with the same 2 and 7/8". This should warm the hearts of everyone else in this discussion, as anyone who has heard me play would not equate pinky length with playing ability. A clam is a clam, no longer how long the finger that is responsible for it.

5 Likes

That is only 0.2" shorter than my middle finger. In fact, it is almost exactly the same as my index and ring finger!
:cry:

3 Likes

Now you lot have gotten me measuring my pinky LOL

I measured from the crease to the tip and mine is 2 9/16

2 Likes

noooooooooo
there is no god i am doomed
anyone wants to buy some basses?

3 Likes

Hi @JoshFossgreen,
I like everyone else just measured mine and it is just over 2 1/2 inches from the crease.
I must have frog hands :joy::joy:
But I can reach across the first 4 frets so it is achievable with stumps :joy::joy::joy::joy:
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Hi @howard,
Mines the same size.
Cheers brian

1 Like

Zing!

Heard you have a Cort Action PJ? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I mean…

2 Likes

This is complicated… My pinky is set back about 3/8" back from the ring finger. It measures 2-3/8" from the inside crease next to my ring finger and 2-1/2" from the outboard crease. So, I really don’t know how I compare to this group of aspiring bassists!

Yeah, I must admit I have the pinky blues too, but I just committed to exercising the pinky specifically per Josh’s excellent video here:

Ken T.

5 Likes