Pinky finger

Hi all, I’m really struggling when I have to use the pinky, it’s very weak and I also have tiny short stubby fingers. Does Josh reply on here? Thanks in advance

8 Likes

First off welcome to the community @lee.bramham

In General yes but I don’t think he has to for your question. It is a common one among new bass players.

See here Numb pinkie, Pinky problem, My Pinky is Nonconformist, Pinky Hate Club

You can also use the magnifying glass in the top right to search for topics already discussed. A lot of people have short/stubby fingers. There are also some threads about “small hands” but all in all it boils down to: you have small hands. Deal with it and find a way to play.

4 Likes

Your pinky will get stronger as you practice.
We all think our pinkies are too short, except for Josh, whose pinky is apparently approx. 6 inches long. :grin:
Mine is about 2 inches, just to give you an idea.

And yes, Josh regularly participates here!

5 Likes

6” pinky!! Jeesus. Yes mine is 2” (pinky that is!) tiny fingers and I’m 6’2”. I’m sure I’m deformed!!

5 Likes

@lee.bramham

Welcome aboard :+1:

I too have stubby fingers and spent a good few years dodging using my pinkie playing guitar.
However,since taking Joshs course and following his numerous exercise videos on YouTube my pinkie is getting stronger and I’m starting to favour it for 3rd and 4th fret notes. Don’t get me wrong it’s still a case of being very disciplined about using it but as the others have said it will get easier with time and perseverance :pray:t2:

6 Likes

Welcome aboard @lee.bramham,
Enjoy the ride, you will get plenty of help here when you need support or advice.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Thank you all

3 Likes

6.5cm (2.5") pinky here - you’re not alone :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Lee!

As some already said it is a common challenge for most and Josh addresses it frequently during the course. If you read the comments under each lesson video it is a high chance that someone already commented something similar.

I am at module 8 now and seen him suggesting:
-It will get stronger with practice
-It will stretch farther with practice
-if it is really limited you can make micro shifts on location of your hand to cover the space.
-If you actually have physical limitation due to an accident/surgery then you can find ways more comfortable for you… (Like using other fingers and shifting around even more)

But as many said already it simply gets better and easier…

4 Likes

Ok now I’m jealous.
Measured from the starting point between ring and pinky, my pinky is an intimidating 5.4cm, so 2.1".

2 Likes

What makes me sad is that my mutant hands are normal sized but it is all in the palm and I have stubby, guitarist-sized fingers. Such a waste.

7 Likes

Welcome to the community @lee.bramham!
When I started the course, my pinky was pretty much useless. Now that I’ve finished, my pinky is my ‘go to’ finger for the higher notes down the neck. It gets more of a workout than my ring finger.
Be patient, it will come.

6 Likes

great response guys. Thank you

Howard mine are exactly the same

4 Likes

Pinkies start off weak and they are also spoiled little brats because nobody ever asks them to do anything. Now they’re finally going to get stronger and learn to take some responsibility. It’s a good thing!

5 Likes

Pinky: The stereotypical youngest child in any family with 2 or more children.

After I got that mental image in my head I started thinking about the ring finger. Who is that? Probably the underaccomplished middle child/loser who no one expects ever to actually do anything.
Yep. That seems about right.

3 Likes

Yes, @JoshFossgreen does reply on here, as do we all.

Welcome to the forum @lee.bramham . If you click on the magnifying glass icon in the upper right corner, you can search for all the many threads on that very topic.

Enjoy your time here. Don’t worry about your pinky, it’ll come around :smile_cat:

3 Likes

@lee.bramham
Don’t fret! Your pinky will get stronger and you’ll build dexterity through practice. As you can see in the comments, many of us have had this challenge.
Just keep playing and enjoy your journey.

3 Likes

Ambigious advice.
I think he should fret. Especially with his pinky.

(sorry. Could not resist)

5 Likes

@juli0r
Valid!

3 Likes

@lee.bramham the exerciser I posted on this thread is helping me with weak left hand fingers
How to strengthen left hand - #13 by Mark_UK

2 Likes