PJ Bass help!

Oh I’m with the Caprice for sure but it’s not very easy to find one and almost impossible to find one at the right price. Lol.

2 Likes

Available here in SE Asia but not cheap. $2100 USD

2 Likes

That’s cheap at $2100. It’s not just discontinued they are not bringing them back anymore.

1 Like

My vote would be for the Sire if that’s your final list of options, but definitely check out more from their range if you can!

I’ve recently bought a new Sire V5R (I’ve realised I’m deffo a jazz bass kinda guy) and I’m now a solid fan of the brand; their current line of basses are quality way above the price imo

3 Likes

:100:

1 Like

If you go Charvel, tell the shop you will only buy it if they dress the frets unless you like to do that stuff.

1 Like

Can readily confirm this for my short scale Sire U5. Comparing to EBMM Sterling Stingray (also a high quality shortie) the Sire definitely has better build quality and was over $100 less. (And as I previously mentioned - the Sire is noticeably better fit/finish than the MIM P-bass I have - which is my go-to full scale).

3 Likes

I’ve really wanted to try out the U5! I’ve only got one store that stocks Sires near me and have never made it there when they’ve any in stock, so they seem to be pretty darn popular :smile:

1 Like

The U5 is particularly hard to find - in fact I’ve never seen one in a store. I bought mine used online based on playing a P7 in the store - and knowing that I like the smaller fingerboard and lower tension of a short scale (based on having the EBMM Sterling Stingray, Ibanez Mikro and an SX medium scale J-bass). It took me a minute to get used to the U5’s more bright/modern sound because I’d been playing a P-bass (with old flats) for a few months almost exclusively - but I am definitely a fan. I did get a set of flats for the U5 - but haven’t put them on yet.

The combination of Sire being popular and the lower overall numbers of U5’s probably accounts for scarcity in stores. But if you can get your hands on a P7 and you already like short scale you’ll be able to make a good decision. Those lower tension strings aren’t for everyone and can make some playing styles harder - i.e. The Ramones catalog fingerstyle on a SS would be frustrating.

4 Likes

I like the mustang. I have the American performer mustang and it feels and sounds great. The hot little mustang pickup cuts through the mix really well.

Another unique pj is the G&L SB2. You can fine the tribute series for less. It’s 2 knobs volume/ volume no tone knob the bridge pickup control kinda act like a brightness control. MFD pickup sounds awesome.

Here’s my short scales

1 Like

Nice collection! Where’d you get the custom knobs on your Sterling Stingray? (I have that same Daphne Blue). Oh wait - just noticing that it looks like you have the same style custom knobs on all of those?

2 Likes

It’s a custom dipped from BlackZapp store on Reberb. They are quite awesome people.

1 Like

Thanks - these are some great options!

i am in san diego and most of the basses that i mentioned and some other ones here are in stock at pitbull audio. so this weekend i hope to be able to get down there and finally figure out which one i like the best - and either purchase new or used based on what i like. hope to have an update for you all!

2 Likes

Great plan, @WillieD. Have fun and good hunting.

1 Like

legend says the hunt never stops lol

3 Likes

Charvel comes with rolled frets just like Sire these days

2 Likes

Sire for the win.

1 Like

The 3 I tied sure as heck didn’t seem rolled. They were horrible.

The frets and fret edges on my Charvel are top notch. shrug