PJ Bass help!

I believe the “rolled” term is referring to the fretboard, not the frets.

Sires have rolled fretboards, i.e., the fretboard edges are rounded as they meet the neck profile.

4 Likes

I have come to love just about everything on a Sire Jazz bass great value, excellent components and wonderful electronic.

I only wish that they offer the same on precision bass.

4 Likes

I almost pulled the trigger on a Sire P5. The only thing I would’ve changed on it would have been the pup.

The P5’s pup is a modern P version, which makes sense since it’s a Marcus Miller-influenced bass. With a Lollar, Nordstrand NP4, Fender 62/63, or Fralin, I think it would be an excellent P bass.

++++++++

Correction:

A Sire fiver has a honking 1.874" nut width.

A 4-string has a 42mm.

1 Like

May have just been the ones I tried then. They were rough. I am still thinking about possible getting one I just need to find the right one.

All the Gen 2 Sires have the rolled fretboards - but you’re right, that’s not referring to the actual frets. And just like any bass, you could potentially get some rough frets - even a $12k Fodera isn’t immune. Especially if you go from a dry to a more humid environment, the fretboard swells a touch as it absorbs moisture, and as the wood expands the fret can get pushed around. So far my Sire frets have been great - but I bought and have played it during winter/dry conditions so I’ll keep an eye out for any issues this summer. (I had to file a fret on MIM P-bass during transition from spring/summer last year - pretty sure it was humidity related - but an easy fix. Bass is normally in dry room inside, I took it out to play with a guy in a detached garage with the door open while it was raining, and all of a sudden I had a rough fret. Can’t be a coincidence.)

2 Likes

My Sire U5 came from Germany to Texas last February. No fret sprout at all.

My Sire M5 arrived from Germany a few months later, and it did have some fret sprout. Nothing tremendously bad at all, but there was a tad. It took not much to fix it.

Usually, fret sprout occurs because the fretboard shrinks, thereby exposing the ends of previously finished frets. And once it shrinks, it doesn’t go back to its former width. Again, not a massive deal, but it can, and sometimes does, happen.

1 Like

I have two and the necks are sublime.

My Sire D5s have 42mm/1.65" necks. They are quite playable, and with the Duncan Stinger or JBE pickup sound fantastic. And noise free.

2 Likes

My problem was weird - the fret had shifted up and toward my thumb. I originally just filed the thumb edge smooth and thought it would all be good - but then I was getting fret buzz. So did a whole setup to no avail and eventually had to get out a level and knock back that whole fret. Used sandpaper and then polish because I don’t have any expensive fret files and I was afraid of making the whole fret flat on top.

3 Likes

You’re correct. My bad. I was looking at a 5-string P5 nut width. I corrected my previous post.

2 Likes

Or maybe it was just happy to see you

2 Likes

Hee, hee, hee :grin:

was able to sit sit down and get some time with the aerodyne, boxer and charvel. out of the three the charvel feels the best. the aerodyne while nice is just a little to light in terms of weight - i want some meat in my bass lol.

anyhow still need to check out a p7. but for now the charvel is the winner - hope to check out the p7 here today or tommorow

2 Likes

If you don’t check out Yamaha BB before you decide I’m gonna get mad.

1 Like

I’m not sure how much weight is ideal for you, but I think you’ll like the Sire P7. Have fun.

yes i am going to check out the bb734 when i check out the sire

2 Likes

ok everyone heres my update - after trying out many different basses in the past week ( i treid the bb as well!) i look to be picking up the bass below with a gator case / strap / and a stand for a killer price. its a 2013 fender deluxe precision special edition - a PJ thats passive with a 1.5 nut jazz neck!

the bass i originally wanted was that duff signature but i did not like the neck/ nut widith on it - it felt like a standard p bass neck even tho it says jazz special… i really like the feel of a jazz neck. so thats where i started my search with the items above. all in all i liked the feeling and tones out of this bass - some of the ones i tried had pros and cons - but i think i will be good with this one - as it closely resembles the original one i wanted
all in around 700 bucks and in pristine condition!

7 Likes

Congratulations! That and a hard case for just $700 is an incredible deal! Let us know how it plays.

will do!

Congrats. Not a Fender fan, but that is a really nice looker.

Congrats! Just so you know, Fender labels it’s basses based on body shape, not neck or pickups like the rest of us do.

Duff’s neck has a story behind it but the short of it is, Fender made a mistake in the profile of Duffs neck on his original bass at the factory and it slipped past QC, and now his sig bass reproduces the error as that’s how Duff likes it.

I forgot about the Deluxe Special. Good catch. Looks amazing