"PJ" basses any good?

Yeah! That’s what I’m talking about!

2 Likes

It’s cute :slight_smile:

1 Like

Let’s see, I have a 34" scale Fender PJ, a 32" Squier Jaguar PJ with SD Quarter Pounders, and an Ibanez TMB30 short scale PJ with Dimarzio pickups. So I would have to say that in my opinion PJ’s are pretty good. :grin:

2 Likes

The very little I know about PJ is from Victor Wooten’s yin yang by Fodera. It seems to be a bass from the outer space and I could just stare at it ^_^. The magic of victor. I bought a P only, Japanese made. Althoughit was a little expensive, the bass was in a sorry state (corroded frets, humming pu, G string buzzing…) The € 300 paid for refurbishing (Hepcat 62 pickups, some Russian capacitor, paired CTS pots, slight truss rod adjusment and fretboard cleaning) were really worth the 100 miles return ride (I live in an underdeveloped a

2 Likes

oops, sorry for lacking continuity…
area in France which is already underdeveloped itself :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :crazy_face: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
I once had a Japanese Fender PJ with EMG active pu’s, maple fretboard with black blocks. I had no bass experience at all 10 years ago but the sound was really charming. Web all know that the sound is directly related to the fretboard type (rosewood über alles lol), pickups and above all you guys’ Q-tip or sausage fingers (with a preference for sausage :-). Regarding pickups, I tried Seymour Duncan (all kinds), Fender aero, active EMG’s, also the USD290.00 Lindi Fralin PJ set. They all do the job ie amplifying string vibrations. However, Hepcat 62 (or 64) to me are second to none. They use OFC copper, hand wound/coiled wire as Fender JB/P 62 pickups used to have. How OFC copper is produced is a nice story which I can try to tell. I promise I’ll try to be not too mouthful. This is now 9:45 am in France. You bassbuzz people stay safe and healthy and take care. Hello Pam :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@crippledring Sounds pretty great. You need to show us some pictures over here… Show Us Your Basses (Part 1).

If you want to say hi to someone, include @ symbol before their name. Like this… @PamPurrs. Since I tagged her, she will now see your “Hi”.

3 Likes

Hi @crippledring

2 Likes

Ooo, thank you :hugs:

3 Likes

What do you guys think about or do about the hum from the single coil in a PJ? I played one briefly and I essentially just useD the P pick up because whenever I turn the single coil up at all the hum drove me crazy

3 Likes

I’ve had several PJs and never had a problem with humming. What brand of bass is it?

3 Likes

The vid is for a J Bass, but explains the hum i get. The way the pickup’s wire is wrapped around on the inside.

Maybe its the same for your pick ups.

4 Likes

Yeah I have a J bass that definitely hums if they’re not both turned up. Very briefly I had a squire PJ and since the P didn’t cancel the J, if I turned up the J pick up at all it hummed. Is it true that the EMGJ pick up doesn’t Humm because it’s active?

4 Likes

I have a Squier Affinity PJ bass and the J pickup definitely hummed when cranked up. My solution was to replace the pickups with a DiMarzio DP126 Model PJ Hum-Cancelling Pickup Set. The DiMarzio P pickup is a dual coil humbucker that is constructed like the Aguilar pickups discussed in the video above.

It definitely works - no hum even with the volume wide open.

@doylecb: I don’t know anything about the EMG J pickup, but it would not surprise me if it also had a dual coil setup.

The only problem with my Squier PJ is that with the DiMarzio pups, a high mass bridge, a Hipshot Xtender detuner and D’Addario flatwound strings, I think I’ve spent more on mods than what I paid for the bass.

Plays and sounds nice, though. :smiley:

3 Likes

I know that rabbit hole very well :woozy_face:
I was looking at upgrades for the Mustang last night which is ridiculous as she plays beautifully apart from the strings maybe

5 Likes

I’m not a huge fan of single coil J pickups for just this reason. I’ve had a J/J that picked up electrical interference (from my PC) regardless of pickup balance. My P/J is much better but still noticeable if I dial all the way to the J.

J pickups are just sensitive to electrical interference noise. I love the growl a J on the bridge side gives, but in general it’s humbuckers and split-coils for me.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t it actually make sense to mount the P-pickup reversed? I mean you get a fatter sound when you play closer to the fretboard. So wouldn’t it make sense that the thinnest strings have the pickup closer to the fretboard? :slight_smile:

this exists on some basses :

that said, I’m not sure it makes a big différence.

3 Likes

I think it is more voodoo than anything.
Rocco Prestia from TOP had his reversed and swore by it, but, there are a lot of myths in the world of musical instrument design.

4 Likes

Sandberg invert the P-pickup for their VT and VM configurations.

2 Likes

My Aerodyne has a standard P, my San Dimas has a reversed P. The San Dimas is way more mid-heavy than the Aerodyne, but I’m not sure how much of that is the DiMarzio pickup vs. the Fender pickup, or the San Dimas pre-amp itself. Probably most, if not all of it.

For a brief time, I had a San Dimas I had converted to passive. I would have loved to have experimented on the standard/reverse P question by putting the same P pickups in the Aerodyne and the passive San Dimas and run some sound checks… but I never did. Plus, they were constructed differently and with different materials, and I did NOT want to dive into the whole “tone wood” thing, LOL.

So, really, this is just a long post to say “shrug”.

2 Likes