"PJ" basses any good?

In your opinion (or experience) is a bass with a PJ pickup configuration a good compromise between a P and a J bass, or rather neither fish nor meat?? Wouldn’t a good PJ bass (especially with various options for pairing/isolating individual pickups) be the best option if you can’t afford both a P and a J bass??

1 Like

I love them. Nice tonal combination, very versatile. Listen to this BB :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like P/J basses too. even if it’s not “the real thing” you can get a P sound and get pretty close to a J sound, and even cooler you can dial in between.

1 Like

So, can you hear the difference?? What makes the “real thing” so much “realer”??

assuming that the pickups are located exactly like on a P (neck pickup) and a J (bridge pickup - even if all the J basses don’t have the bridge pickup in the exact same place) :

• you won’t ear a noticeable difference when using only the P pickup
  • same thing on the bridge pickup only, but who uses only the bridge J pickup ?
  • when blending the two pickups you will be able to get close to a J tone, but not identical (because of the neck pickup obviously)

for me the important thing on a real P is the neck ! it’s much wider and bigger than a J neck and it makes me play differently.

1 Like

That’s a nice sound. I have the BB235, which is the 5 string version of the BB 234.

1 Like

Ah, forgot all about the neck shape and size!!

Hm, maybe I should start venturing into music stores and just trying different basses more often!!

Thanks for the input so far, @terb and @howard

2 Likes