"PJ" basses any good?

@howard

That first example is a great example of a jazz bass. That’s kinda the tone I can nearly get if I piss about a lot first. However, that guy’s tone and skill is a metric ton better than mine.

Second one where he plays a very mellow bit towards the end - that’s the exact tone I use for mellow blues.

But then I like to do completely random stuff like On Days Like These by Matt Monro -

https://youtu.be/KQIRbV_noi8

Now even though you could use a P bass for that, I’d always play that on a Jazz.

I reckon I’m just a contrary sod to be honest :smiley:

2 Likes

I have to admit I was impressed by the MIJ they handed me and more than a little tempted by the color (seriously, Fender does powder/pastel blues, greys and yellows so well). Which was of course the reason they handed it to me and not a bargain bass :slight_smile:

I think a Jazz would be good for punchy midrange-dominant soloing. Geddy Lee has had good luck after all. Or, you know, for Jazz :slight_smile:

It’s just not as close to my style.

1 Like

What do you like about the pure P over the P/J using one PUP?

1 Like

@howard

Definitely. I’m reading the Geddy Lee book at the moment. Not good for GAS, but you know, has to be done :slight_smile:

I don’t use a pick either, so if I want that twangy sound (like on the Matt Monro song), I’ll just use a Jazz and only turn on the bridge pickup and play right back near the bridge. I guess everyone just has their own thing obviously. God knows what mine is, as it changes every 5 minutes :laughing:

3 Likes

I guess it’s two things for me - The first is that just using the pure P is warmer and mellower than just using the P Pup on the PJ. PJ nearly get’s there, but my ears tell me otherwise.

The second reason is that sometimes, I just want something completely simple in my hands without having to faff - I know full well that I could turn on my P right now, tone on zero, volume 3 quarters and that’s all I’d need to do to get exactly the sound I want for some mellow stuff. The purity, if you like.

The PJ, I have to sort of zero in for a bit till I get the sound I’m after.

I think that’s it really.

7 Likes

definitly.

4 Likes

I just love the aesthetic of Fender J Bass (the pickguard and control plate), but I like the sound of the P best and the ascetics of the P Pup.

The way @JoshFossgreen makes that Squier VM J Bass play-- make you want buy one, except they aren’t made anymore. :frowning:

I wonder if there’s a J Bass body with a P Pup mounted in it (from the factory). I’m sure someone’s done that.

4 Likes

oh yes, @joergkutter has a Mayones Jazz Bass with this pickgup configuration (P/J).

Fender made a few models with a P pickup, like for example the Aerodyne :

8 Likes

They still do :heart_eyes:
DO NOT CLICK!

4 Likes

ooh strat-style jack, and a rosewood fretboard like it should be :slight_smile:

7.25" radius though - that’s pretty rounded for a fretboard.

3 Likes

I really tried not to click that.

4 Likes

yes, it’s the old (50’s/60’s) Fender standard but I much prefer the current radius which is 9.5"

2 Likes

There’s a slightly different looking used one for sale @333 GBP. Though it’s another 150 to get it shipped.

3 Likes

Here’s a domestic listing for it from Rakuten (a local company similar to Amazon Marketplace):

https://item.rakuten.co.jp/ishibashi-shops/08-326706404/

price is the same, shipping free. You could try checking rakuten.com for their global shipping maybe?

1 Like

also I remember the Mark Hopus signature, with a reverse P pickup. I’m not a big fan, but, well, it exists.

2 Likes

@howard - thanks - just tried but unfortunately (or fortunately!) they don’t ship overseas on that item

3 Likes

Ahh bummer! Oh well :slight_smile:

1 Like

What a tiny bridge!

2 Likes

very similar to those I have on the P and the SBV !

2 Likes

Yeah! That’s what I’m talking about!

2 Likes