Plan to upgrade, advice needed

Heyaa, it has been a little over one year since my bass journey started. It all started with Squier affinity PJ.
I want to upgrade, or to be more precise, switch to jazz bass. :smiley: (pun intended)
The problem is that money is an issue and options are limited.
My main dilemma is choosing between Squier Jazz Classic vibe 60 or Squier Classic vibe 70.
Can you help me which one is better for me? And is it really an upgrade considering my current bass?
Thanks!!

1 Like

There is really no difference in the two other than styling. Pick the one you like the looks of better.

2 Likes

Check out “Vintage” brand. I have their jazz bass and it is at least the equal to Squier if not better. And you should be able to find them cheaper as well. All Wilkinson components and the build quality is excellent. And it sounds thunderous when I crank my GK amp.

You might also find “Vintage Modified” Squiers used for good prices. That was the model name before they changed to “classic vibe”. Some think they are better quality.

1 Like

I would seriously consider a Squier Paranormal Jazz. They’re cheaper than the CVs but are well built and very playable. They’re the gem of the Squier line

4 Likes

I had a Squire Vintage Modified Jaguar, made about 2017, which had some questionable active circuits. I now have the Classic Vibe Jaguar instead, which is passive. I like it much better, but it also cost almost double.

1 Like

Actually, I think the bridge pickup position is different.
The 70s has the pickup closer to the bridge (Geddy Lee style).

I’d go for the 70’s for that reason.

4 Likes

This is a very good idea!

2 Likes

I agree. The paranormal looks awesome and very well built.

If your budget is around the classic vibe then it’s $500 give or take there are so many jazz basses to choose. For that price range I’d definitely go for the G&L JB lake placid blue with rosewood fretboard.

You can also go with the Squier contemporary jazz bass, awesome bass with active humbucker pickups. I’m very impressed with the sound and build quality of both paranormal and contemporary.

These 4 basses are all under $500 and they are surprisingly awesome.

2 Likes

Thank you all for your answers. I like recommendations, but there is another problem, gear choice has become very limited. Believe or not, decent options for this range and jazz basses that are available in shops are: Squier CV 60 (which is currently my favorite), Marcus Miller V3, Cort basses and some Yamaha basses.
I know many people love yamaha, but I somewhat am not attracted to them, so most probably I will go with Squier CV 60.

3 Likes

Interesting, what Yamaha Jazz basses did you see? I am not aware of any currently in production.

There are the high end BBNE and TRBJP but those aren’t common production models (and so I would be surprised if they were common in stores near you).

2 Likes

To be honest, I haven’t really checked models, as I am not into their basses, but what you are right is that not many of them are available. They mostly have yamaha P and PJ basses with maybe 2 jazz models.

1 Like

Of these, I would go with the Squier.
Why?

1. You stated you like it best.
  2. It is the easiest of all to upgrade in any component.
  3. I see a lot of mixed feelings about Marcus Millers (although have not played any) even at the higher levels.
  4. Cort really doesn’t give you anything more, maybe even less
  5. I also don’t know of and Yamaha Jazz basses.

Not sure where you live, but why only focus on local shops vs. ordering online?

3 Likes

Yeah - no current production models except the Pattucci TRB signature and the Nathan East BB signature editions.

1 Like

Online? Where are you?sight unseen purchase is not that uncommon nowadays.

Thanks! I live in Montenegro, Europe. We have some weird Vat taxes and customs taxes for orders above 150€ and it would cost more than I can pay. Plus, our post service is lazy and unresponsible AF :smiley:

1 Like

Question of the day. My neighbor gave me a Rogue bass and I’m going to replace the 3 way switch as it only works on 2 positions along with doing something about the crappy solder work on a couple other connections. My questions are as follows:

1. The pots and volume knob, all 3 have wires soldered to the tabs but each one also has a glob of solder on the body itself with one tab stuck in it along with the appropriate wire. Is this just a crappy job or is there a reason behind it? I can’t think of one. Should I replace the pots and do proper connections?

1 Like

This is normal and creates the ground in each pot. It’s just messy but as long as the connection is good it’s fine.

I don’t do it this way. I snip the long lead of a capacitor and “feed it through” each bent up tab and across the back of the pots and then solder each of those. Looks cleaner and is easier in my opinion even if 2x the soldering.

You don’t have to replace it all but if that mess bothers you or the pots are noisy it’s $20 in good CTs pots and a cap.

1 Like

+1 on this. My thought is that as long as you’re in there, replace the pots and output jack as well. That way you know everything is solid.

1 Like

+2 on this. Decent pots and switches are cheap, and those shit stains around what look like reheated cold solder joints on the pots don’t inspire confidence. It looks like someone overheated the galvanized bottom of the pot and burned off the zinc (great for the pulmonary and cerebral health, BTW :roll_eyes:) so that it corroded in the air.

1 Like