Playing along to music with Head Phones

@Fahri What kind of amp did you get?

@eric.kiser oh it’s definitely something excessive for my home use… It will arrive today and I’m looking forward to post it on the “Show us your amps” thread… Don’t want to jinx now :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I totally approve of excessive. I’m looking at a second Hartke LH1000 because that’s what excess is for.

3 Likes

One for each ear, I like how you think!

3 Likes

Ok I think I figured out what my problem is… These are the two outputs of the amp

TUNER OUT unbalanced, max. voltage 2 Vpp
LINE OUT balanced XLR, max. voltage 20 Vpp

If I connect Tuner Out to the Focusrite sound is loud and clear without any early clipping problem. However this output is pre-eq so I cannot benefit from any modeling.

If I connect Line Out to Focusrite I cannot turn on the gain knob on DAI more than 1/4 otherwise it clips but even the volume knob is at maximum headphone level is not so high.

So maybe the problem is the voltage levels…

I am thinking that I might need to get one of these in ear monitor setup or a cheapish mixer like this

I am not sure if the mixer would have the same problem as the DAI though…

1 Like

I wanted to limit the amps on headphone conversation to one thread so linking to @Paul 's message on the Show your amps thread

I am using a balanced XLR to TRS cable to connect to Scarlet and keeping it on the “LINE” mode.

The sound level is significantly different between “Direct Monitor” and when I turn on Ableton Live Mixer but even there it is not crazy high volume. (I am not deaf of course but if I have to max to volume just to hear something normally I don’t get convinced)

My Focusrite Scarlet Solo only has one gain knob and one volume knob. As I said on the previous message I cannot get the gain higher than 1/4 without clipping the signal and the volume is all the way up.

2 Likes

Oh so you don’t have a knob to control your headphone volume? For an audio interface that kinda seems weird to me, usually you have a separated headphone and monitor control. But even for that price I still would expect good volume on your headphones. Hope you get it sorted!

1 Like

Yeah I was surprised that the thing can’t take a line in signal on the XLR in.

1 Like

So I’m glad I saw this thread!! Is there a DAI at the same price point as the Focusrite (solo or 2i2) or the Personus that CAN take the XLR right off the amp? I’m in the market and would like the option.

Thanx
Chris

1 Like

I’m surprised the Scarlett can’t. Zoom U-24/44/etc can take line level input on the combo plugs; I’m running one line level in to mine now.

1 Like

Interesting… I’m also looking at the EVO 4 and this is all the manual says about it…

To connect a line-level device, use a ¼” TRS jack which will connect to the
centre of the Combi connector. The Line input automatically reduces your
signal level slightly to minimise the chance of overloading the input and
causing distortion. The line inputs are ideal for connecting up devices like
keyboards and drum machines.
EVO 4 can lower the signal level by 8 decibels and boost it by up to 50 dec-
ibels allowing you to get the perfect recording level, this is known as the
Gain.

1 Like

For my Zoom I have only run XLR in for DI outs on pedals, but the jack itself has no problem taking line level input.

Looks like there’s about a 10:1 on the TRS vs XLR levels though:

MAXIMUM INPUT LEVEL: +2.7 dBu (MIC IN) /+20.7 dBu (TRS IN)

2 Likes

Yeah that is same for the Tuner and Line out for my amp 1/10 HOWEVER after some sleep and tasting in the ‘daylight’ I saw that last night I tried SEND output instead of the tuner. This morning I connected the TUNER output to Scarlet Line in and couldn’t even get any sound. I guess that is mic level as well.

BTW XLR input on my Scarlet Solo is not Combo and even on 2i2 it says when you connect XLR it automatically runs through the Mic pre amp.

I have followed @Paul 's idea for a firmware update now and that really changed things. Focusrite devices (most of them including my Scarlet Solo) don’t run independently and you cannot update a firmware. What you can update is the windows driver and Focusrite Control application and neighter of them have headphone volume control like it shows on the User Manual.

What I can do is turn on Ableton Live and use the ASIO driver which already gives significantly higher volume AND I can digitally increase the volume for both inputs and outputs. I wish there was a simpler PC independent way.

So I might have chosen poorly for Scarlet Solo instead of 2i2 which do have combo inputs and headphone volume control. This is my two cents for you @csmundell

Also now I can see that I could have bought the Behringer Usb 502 Mixer just for 1/3 price which can also record 2 channels but can also mix.

Only plus side of this DAI for me atm is that I can directly connecto to my Android phone via USB.-C. There are no official audio drivers for it though…

1 Like

“Cheap” mixers you will regret…I got a Yamaha MG10XU…while not expensive it was more than what you looked at…I live in a dusty area so I stayed with the ALL rotary pots…slides require too much cleaning in a home or minor gig situation. I can crank anything as loud as I want and add effects (on board) at different levels to different inputs and I basically can tweek things left / right, eq, some compression, volume completely independent of everything else. That mixer is a really good value…check it out and check out all the other stuff it has/does. I used to work with analog tape…personal set up was 4 track open reel but at work had 8 track open reel. no it wasn’t music per say it was commercials and sound tracks but I found this board to be an excellent value with great versatility. So much easier to just turn a knob than to grab a mouse or tap a touchscreen through a bunch steps to make a tweek. By the way the amount of inputs becomes important…and while not a massive board there is certainly more inputs than a simple stereo in and one or two mono ins. Run this puppy into your Mac or PC and what you can do easily without screwing with pads, tablets, phones or your keyboard/touchpad makes it’s increase in cost seem less than negligible . I used to buy to get by, but quickly found out that a slight wait for the $ for an upgrade was better than paying too little, for too little and selling my mistakes for too little so I could buy what I really needed. Hell if nothing else get a sign saying “Will Play Killer Skynyrd bass lines for equipment” and stand outside a Walmart…it might work cause everybody knows Stairway to Heaven sounds like dung on a bass and we all know what walmart shoppers listen to…Hell find the right walmart and you might be able to buy???

2 Likes

Yeah, if I were ever to want to upgrade my audio interface I would go for a mixer with a built-in audio interface too. A bunch of good ones, I’m sure that Yamaha is great.

1 Like

The Darkglass Element after the latest firmware update is now also an audio interface. They keep on improving and adding more functionality. It’s my go-to pedal if I want to practice somewhere else besides my amp. The VOX amplug comes nowhere near the versatility, functionality and sound quality of this audio device.

I actually bought this device because the headphone out on my amp wasn’t working properly, but it turned out better then I expected. You can use it as a standalone practice device and play wherever you want or place it somewhere in your signalchain (f.e. you can even put it in the send/return from your amp). I had it between my pedals and amp. The cool thing is that it has optional cab-sims on headhpones so it still sounds like you are listening to a poweramp + cabinet which you can control easy via a mobile or desktop app. There is also an option for adding aux input via a cable or bluetooth and balance the levels on the device itself. It’s great for adding backingtrack or drums. Maybe something like this could be a solution for you as well @Fahri? It’s not cheap but for what it can do I would say it’s worth it. I wouldn’t be surprised if they would add more modeling options in the future.

2 Likes

Universal Audio interfaces are nice too. I’ve got the cheapest one and I got it because I wanted no latency for my instrument input. I noticed quite a difference in quality between my 1st gen 2i2 and the universal audio one. It has a bit of a learning curve tho.

1 Like

That looks beautiful @Paul but I literally just broke the bank for the Markbass :smiley:

3 Likes

Happy with my Zoom, really the only reason I would upgrade is if I needed another input (I’m using two now, so once I needed a third I would just get a mixer.) But Universal Audio sounds interesting for people looking for an interface.

2 Likes

So if I’m understanding this chart Sweetwater so nicely made for me correctly… The EVO 4 and the Focusrite 2i2 both will accept a line connection from the DI output on the back of my amp.

If true, my next question would be what cable would be the correct connection on the DAI end? AMP side is easy, there is only one choice, female XLR.

But on the DAI side I see 3 choices, and the cables come all 3 ways…

1. Female XLR to Male 1/4" TRS balanced (stereo).
  2. Female XLR to Male 1/4" Mono
  3. Female XLR to Male XLR (Microphone cable)

What would be the correct (best?) choice here?

Thanx
Chris

1 Like