Playing bass with headphones

Does anyone else feel that, when playing bass with headphones, the notes they play sound sharp? Or are otherwise hard to hear well? Specifically the lower notes.

Things sound okay through an amp, but I find with headphones things are just a little off, which may have something to do with the distance from ear or something. Just wondering…

5 Likes

@Isa_B, check out this discussion: Sound Quality from Headphones :slight_smile:

HTH and all best, Joe

3 Likes

Hi @Isa_B, I struggled when I got my bass amp, and tried plugging headphones, that I found they didn’t sound good.
Wasn’t sure if it was something to do with the amp headphone drive, or more likely the frequency response of the headphones not being good enough. More than likely it’s the latter.
You really need headphones with a good low end, which means not just boomy low end but well controlled reproduction of low frequencies.
I think that leads you to pricier headphones.

2 Likes

I think this topic is different than the one @Jazzbass19 linked. Here it’s about the headphones directly plugged into the amp and the other one was more about the recorded sound of the bass despite the title.

I always used my Sennheiser HD 580 Precision. They are not low heavy or boomy at all so I usually thought they were not very bass heavy but it seems they are precise in the low frequencies as you say. I’d expect them to be costing 300DM back in the day.

If I didn’t have any and would buy new ones I probably would take a look at the Beyerdynamic DT Series. I can’t remember the number of the model right now but I’ve heard it recommended as often as the rumble amp is recommended here.

I could also try using the cheap in ear ones I use for travelling once I’m back at home. Just to have a contrast to tell if it’s as bad for me too with low quality headphones.

2 Likes

I use AKG K240 Studio headphones and really like them. I always practice with headphones because I live in a duplex and don’t want to bother my neighbors.

3 Likes

I have DT990 Pros and love them.

3 Likes

Hi @Isa_B,
It amazing all the different responses regarding how people practice and the different resources used.
Here is mine, I don’t use any amps when practicing in the house, I just play the bass along to songs with a set of Bose quiet comfort headphones covering my left ear and can hear the bass through my right ear.
When I Practice in the shed and plug into the amp I don’t use headphones, just play along to songs, but I don’t have to worry about disturbing neighbours etc.
Cheers Brian

1 Like

are those the 250 Ohms? I am worried the Rumble 25 is not powerful enough to drive them.
If so I think i would get 770 or 990 with 250Ohms, else I would fall back to 80 Ohms

2 Likes

Yep, 250. I drive them with a dedicated headphone amp.

3 Likes

would you mind plugging them directly in your amp to check audio quality in comparison?
I was using some Teufel Aureol Real yesterday and got a lot of “humm” on them so I am thinking their impedance is much to low but I am not sure I am overshooting with 250 Ohms :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I don’t use an amp :slight_smile:

They still work driven directly from my DAI but lose some low end.

2 Likes

this is mine

3 Likes