Playing in a Church

Wehhhhhhhhhhll, I kid you not but S is on vacation here and his bro is running the show, so that might explain the brevity :laughing:

I did enjoy his central message (at least of the first 15 minutes…gotta move on for now). He’s saying that sometimes church, cover, wedding bands etc. don’t get much cred, but are actually full of good opportunities to grow and meet talented musicians. S-bro tells a lot of stories and rants about stuff – totally acceptable in a podcast, not great when providing formal instruction.

1 Like

if you have no stage experience or band experience just play the Church gig .
If you get tired of it after some time, move on.
If it is recognition or street cred you seek then find some folks looking to strike gold.

1 Like

Been playing in church for most of my life - originally as a guitarist, but on bass in more recent years. (I play mostly 5-string, but occasionally 6-string bass.) Here in Australia, the concept of “professional” (i.e. paid) church bands is almost unheard of. (There may be a handful of megachurches e.g. Hillsong that work on that principle, but it’s very rare.) Volunteers are typically expected to be committed to the beliefs of the church (to my mind, it’s kinda hypocritical to be leading worship when your heart isn’t in it). One thing to bear in mind is that you may need to be familar with a rather large range of songs and styles - whereas being a regular band member of a secular group may typically revolve around a limited setlist (50-60 songs?), I’ve amassed a library of 500-600 titles, any of which could be selected on any particular Sunday. (Although my church typically works with a subset of about 100-150.) I put in 3-4 hours of personal practice each week (more if there’s a new song), using chord charts and Youtube recordings, and then we do 1-1.5 hours band rehearsal on Thursday night, and another 30-minute run-through early Sunday morning. I create all my own charts with arrangements/annotations etc. so I know exactly what I’m doing when we play live. …… My bass playing has improved significantly as a result of the discipline required to play every week, and, in truth, I thoroughly enjoy the involvement and camaraderie of church band life and the contribution it makes to the services.

14 Likes