Playing with a glove (or two gloves)!?!

Welcome @Ordcorpdw. Try the musicians gloves on Amazon. Theyā€™re awesome! I have two pairs of the black ones and practice with them occasionally. I would not be embarrassed to use them on stage either.

6 Likes

@PamPurrs would look great if Sara put the red rose :rose: on one
Jamie
:guitar: :slightly_smiling_face: :guitar:

4 Likes

Iā€™ve thought about thatā€¦

5 Likes

What a great reception to a newbie. Betting some flatwounds would add some longevity to the gloves as well. Looks like a great place to talk bass! Cheers to all of you guys.

8 Likes

@Ordcorpdw I hope that you have got yourself settled in and having fun with your bass.
Jamie

5 Likes

I reviewed the Guitar Gloves in this new Gadgets review, drew on this thread as inspiration for some of my testing! And stole the BASS glove joke, thanks @Korrigan :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

I just ordered a set of Rotosound round wounds at the advice of @MC-Canadastan. As most people here are aware, I detest roundwounds because of how rough they feel on my fingers, but he thinks these may be smooth enough for me. If worse comes to worse, I can always resort to wearing a glove.
I have a nice collection of gloves around the house, and one of them should work.

4 Likes

You know, @PamPurrs , advice is such a strong word. It was merely a suggestion that coated Rotosounds may be more to your liking than uncoated ones :smiley:

I would suggest these:

The toughened leather TIG finger will help protect against the blistering heat of 16th note runs at 180 bpm.

5 Likes

Thanks for the adviceā€¦ errrr advisement ā€¦ err suggestion. :smiley_cat:

3 Likes

Is it Scott (https://www.youtube.com/user/devinebass) ? I saw him most of the time wearing gloves on the fretting hand.

3 Likes

Scott Devine has a nerve condition that can only be controlled if he wears a glove. He talks about it occasionally in his videos so people understand why he wears it.
I actually have a couple pairs of the exact same gloves he uses and they work great (I only wear them when Iā€™m forced to play rounds).

3 Likes

Wow thanks @PamPurrs . I might get these gloves. I want to use it for my plucking hand because I kept on getting blisters.

3 Likes

If you are getting blisters you are playing too hard/much.
You are better off going a bit less aggressively at forming the proper callouses and avoid the painful blisters.
At some point, you are gonna have the callouses, its all about getting them properly.
Itā€™s hard cause we all want to play and play and play, but pain always = stop, in any form.
I overdid it after my last cover and lessons and that dang Blitzkrieg bop and both hands ended up hurting like heck. Day 2 now no bass, bad boy me.

Try not to get to the blister part.

5 Likes

Hi SugarRay319,

Itā€™s an old post and you may have left, but I was wondering if you can give me details about your glove. I have a couple of hand injuries that are slowing me down and I would like to try. Need both hands.

Thanks,
Marty

3 Likes

Thank you PamPurrs! I have a badly damaged index finger. Never knew you could get these

5 Likes

I no longer use them, but some are still laying around in case. I got mine from Amazon. Just search musicians gloves and youā€™ll find them.

5 Likes

Yes. I have. When I actually first tried this it was because I was very new playing and I was playing for extended periods. Meaning that I was burning the skin off the fretting fingers. I actually posted a question to Josh asking about the validity of playing with a glove-whether it was a cheat or if it would somehow inhibit actually learning.

After just a few practices, I found that I actually seem to play just fine with a glove, and in fact I actually prefer the tone I get with it? I donā€™t mind finger scrape noise, it doesnā€™t bother me. But I feel like I get a warmer tone, maybe?

My practice sessions are relatively long for a new player. Maybe 45 minutes in the morning before work and 90 minutes in the evenings. I find that I now actually prefer to play with a glove. As for how it looks? Iā€™m quite a solitary creature, and Iā€™ll never be in a band or making a music video. So I really donā€™t mind.

Being an electrician, I wear gloves all day. So itā€™s really nothing new. The high dexterity gloves available are very good. They fit nicely, and there is no loss of feel.

So, is it right? Uhhh, maybe? I like it. Iā€™ll continue with it.
As for the gloves in question? I like these.

5 Likes

Love my musicianā€™s practice glove. My fretting hand moves up and down the fret board easier and there is a lot less fingering noise.

6 Likes

Yessir :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Hey @joergkutter !
How the devil are you?

2 Likes