Playing with a glove (or two gloves)!?!

I think one may try it out especially if one has some kind of condition or other that makes the fingers more sensitive but for myself I decided that I want to get “hard skin” on my fingers and for that gloves would be a hindrance.

It’s still something that I will buy out of pure curiosity rather later than sooner. Not because I think it’s not useful but I want to be able to play without. Still… I am one of the lucky ones with completely intact hands never anything broken or skin torn down or something like that.

4 Likes

Actually glad I found this thread. Psoriatic arthritis and swelling has practically ended my playing. Maybe this will get me back on the horse. Frankly if it helps i dont care what people think or say.

11 Likes

Glad to have you with us, @Ordcorpdw . . . :slight_smile:

We have lots of good information here!

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

Welcome @Ordcorpdw!
Glad you found a solution to keep playing!

No one here thinks any less of gloved players, really. You could take a look at Scotts Bass Lessons youtube videos if you can stomach the rambling he does. He’s a skilled player who uses a glove because of a condition with the nerves in his hand.

1 Like

@Ordcorpdw I got a black one, I’m still thinking rhinestones :rofl:
It’s the relief they gave my arthritis that’s been a bonus that I had not expected @joergkutter has kept a very good resource going with this thread. So thanks again Joerg my fretting hand thinks your a star
:guitar: :star_struck: :guitar:

5 Likes

@Ordcorpdw welcome.

I don’t use mine all the time, but I do for pain, swelling, poor circulation, and fatigue. It has given me various amounts of relief for all of them, and different days can have different results, but

I have put the glove on, when about to give up do to listed conditions, and instead of putting my bass down, I have gotten an hour or more play time from wearing the glove.

I have the tan, skinish looking glove, but that’s just preference, and it’s not to hide the fact I am wearing a glove, I would wear hot pink if it would help, and I would happily wear brite orange if it were available.

6 Likes

Of course!You can play hapilly that is the most important!

6 Likes

Welcome @Ordcorpdw. Try the musicians gloves on Amazon. They’re awesome! I have two pairs of the black ones and practice with them occasionally. I would not be embarrassed to use them on stage either.

6 Likes

@PamPurrs would look great if Sara put the red rose :rose: on one
Jamie
:guitar: :slightly_smiling_face: :guitar:

4 Likes

I’ve thought about that…

5 Likes

What a great reception to a newbie. Betting some flatwounds would add some longevity to the gloves as well. Looks like a great place to talk bass! Cheers to all of you guys.

8 Likes

@Ordcorpdw I hope that you have got yourself settled in and having fun with your bass.
Jamie

5 Likes

I reviewed the Guitar Gloves in this new Gadgets review, drew on this thread as inspiration for some of my testing! And stole the BASS glove joke, thanks @Korrigan :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

I just ordered a set of Rotosound round wounds at the advice of @MC-Canadastan. As most people here are aware, I detest roundwounds because of how rough they feel on my fingers, but he thinks these may be smooth enough for me. If worse comes to worse, I can always resort to wearing a glove.
I have a nice collection of gloves around the house, and one of them should work.

4 Likes

You know, @PamPurrs , advice is such a strong word. It was merely a suggestion that coated Rotosounds may be more to your liking than uncoated ones :smiley:

I would suggest these:

The toughened leather TIG finger will help protect against the blistering heat of 16th note runs at 180 bpm.

5 Likes

Thanks for the advice… errrr advisement … err suggestion. :smiley_cat:

3 Likes

Is it Scott (https://www.youtube.com/user/devinebass) ? I saw him most of the time wearing gloves on the fretting hand.

3 Likes

Scott Devine has a nerve condition that can only be controlled if he wears a glove. He talks about it occasionally in his videos so people understand why he wears it.
I actually have a couple pairs of the exact same gloves he uses and they work great (I only wear them when I’m forced to play rounds).

3 Likes

Wow thanks @PamPurrs . I might get these gloves. I want to use it for my plucking hand because I kept on getting blisters.

3 Likes

If you are getting blisters you are playing too hard/much.
You are better off going a bit less aggressively at forming the proper callouses and avoid the painful blisters.
At some point, you are gonna have the callouses, its all about getting them properly.
It’s hard cause we all want to play and play and play, but pain always = stop, in any form.
I overdid it after my last cover and lessons and that dang Blitzkrieg bop and both hands ended up hurting like heck. Day 2 now no bass, bad boy me.

Try not to get to the blister part.

5 Likes