Playing with a glove (or two gloves)!?!

Hi SugarRay319,

It’s an old post and you may have left, but I was wondering if you can give me details about your glove. I have a couple of hand injuries that are slowing me down and I would like to try. Need both hands.

Thanks,
Marty

3 Likes

Thank you PamPurrs! I have a badly damaged index finger. Never knew you could get these

5 Likes

I no longer use them, but some are still laying around in case. I got mine from Amazon. Just search musicians gloves and you’ll find them.

5 Likes

Yes. I have. When I actually first tried this it was because I was very new playing and I was playing for extended periods. Meaning that I was burning the skin off the fretting fingers. I actually posted a question to Josh asking about the validity of playing with a glove-whether it was a cheat or if it would somehow inhibit actually learning.

After just a few practices, I found that I actually seem to play just fine with a glove, and in fact I actually prefer the tone I get with it? I don’t mind finger scrape noise, it doesn’t bother me. But I feel like I get a warmer tone, maybe?

My practice sessions are relatively long for a new player. Maybe 45 minutes in the morning before work and 90 minutes in the evenings. I find that I now actually prefer to play with a glove. As for how it looks? I’m quite a solitary creature, and I’ll never be in a band or making a music video. So I really don’t mind.

Being an electrician, I wear gloves all day. So it’s really nothing new. The high dexterity gloves available are very good. They fit nicely, and there is no loss of feel.

So, is it right? Uhhh, maybe? I like it. I’ll continue with it.
As for the gloves in question? I like these.

5 Likes

Love my musician’s practice glove. My fretting hand moves up and down the fret board easier and there is a lot less fingering noise.

6 Likes

Yessir :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Hey @joergkutter !
How the devil are you?

2 Likes

Doing fine, @Mac - checking in occasionally to see what basses y’all are getting :grin:

Or, if I get pinged (like here, because I started this thread way back when)…

Hope you are doing well also!?!

6 Likes

All good here mate @joergkutter

Good to see you

4 Likes

Good to see you @joergkutter . You are definitely missed around here.

4 Likes

Let me add my hello to everyone else’s @joergkutter Jörg . . . :wave:

Hope you’re doing well and staying out of trouble!

Cheers
Joe

2 Likes

Jörg! Come back more :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you, @Mac , @PamPurrs , @Jazzbass19 , @howard et. al :smile:

From what I can see, you guys are totally on top of everything and run a tight ship here, so I guess I’ll continue to keep a low profile… but, will be happy to chime in if @'ed or in case of replies to threads I started (OK, maybe not to the “Friday good music” thread… the definition of good music in that thread has long since been stretched beyond what can be accepted by even the most open minds :crazy_face: :rofl: :joy:)

7 Likes

I agree! That’s why I tend to shy away from that thread :rofl:

3 Likes

Hey, you started it! :rofl:

OUCH

6 Likes

(Seriously though, I have discovered so much good music in there from other people that I wouldn’t have likely heard otherwise! It’s one of my favorite threads on the forum. So, thanks for starting it, @joergkutter :slight_smile: )

6 Likes

Same here.
How else would we all have met Poppy?

4 Likes

For sure, @howard ! And my “good music” is not necessarily the next guy’s “good music” - I totally get that. But, there have been examples (and perhaps more frequently in recent months), where I thought “surely this can’t be anybody’s “good music”!?” And yet, this stuff has been shared… for what purpose? To ridicule the original intent of the thread? To turn people away? In any case, I felt disappointed and sad about what had become of the thread…

4 Likes

Now that’s interesting. Do you have any examples you can point to?

5 Likes

I guess I better stop posting in that thread.

3 Likes