Playing with a glove (or two gloves)!?!

I never meant this to be a derogatory statement. I said I don’t want it to be a crutch for me. If I could walk a little, and needed crutches to get me the distance, I would use the crutches to get there. If I was told, the less I use the crutches, I will eventually be able to walk all the way, I would use the crutches as little as possible in hopes to get off of them

But if I were told to use crutches to help me get there, or I may not be able to walk at all, I would use the crutches.

For me, I think I am the first scenario, I am not worried about losing my playing ability by not using the glove, I an using it to help me get there at times, with the goal to get strength and endurance to not need it.

There is nothing wrong with a crutch, or a glove.

My daughter uses crutches to walk. She was just fitted for her prosthetic. When she gets it, she will use the crutches for a while while she gets used to the prosthetic and builds muscle in the leg she has not used for 3 months. Eventually she won’t use the crutches anymore, but she will always have some around in case. The crutches are not bad, they are useful. There is nothing wrong with them.

I did not mean to offend anybody by saying I don’t want the glove to be a crutch for me, and I did not mean to imply I am better then a person who wants to use a glove. I just have personal goals for playing with and without a glove, and stated it. Only because we were talking about gloves in a thread about them.

6 Likes

@T_dub no offense was taken. I was simply making a point and may have come across a bit harsh.

4 Likes

You were not the first to say it since I wrote it, so I wanted to clarify my intention again, but thanks for the reassurance @PamPurrs

5 Likes

My hand is disfigured so I would be very self conscious if I ever played in public so potentially affecting the way I played so maybe me wearing a glowing might help my confidence.

5 Likes

I think we were all reaffirming your point, @T_dub. My apologies if my own re-affirmation was clumsy and roundabout-ish :grin:

5 Likes

It’s all good. We are all happy family, it’s nice we all care so much about each other’s feelings :+1:t2::+1:t2:

5 Likes

Well, if you want to see how we used to treat each other in here, check out the first twenty or so entries in this thread - I am still scarred from the experience :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Haha, you made me look🙄

3 Likes

Those were loads of fun @joergkutter. I still laugh at some of the silly responses to your original question. :rofl:

5 Likes

Yeah, like playing with baseball gloves hmmm…:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

@joergkutter Does the glove help with your pinky?

5 Likes

Yes, I would think it does… The thing is, my pinky is actually quite dominant in my bass playing, to the point where I almost no longer use my ring finger. I use box shapes a lot and otherwise microshifts, and the pinky is also physically infringing on the ring finger’s turf now, so index and pinky get a lot of action, middle finger some, ring finger not so much! I know this definitely goes against the orthodoxy of the one-finger-per-fret school…

The biggest challenge is for the pinky to “accidentally” touch and/or other strings, i.e., when fretting on the A string, it might touch and ring the G or D strings…

I am scheduled to get another surgery in late fall.

6 Likes

@eric.kiser for me yes. They help the blood circulation to me it feels the same as my pressure socks. Same as the long haul socks you get to prevent a DVT :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I am the same @joergkutter. I use the pinky more. I asked @JoshFossgreen about this, and if it was developing bad habits. He told me “no” and even encouraged it, especially low on the neck in the first 7 or so frets.

4 Likes

So, this just happened:

Unfortunately, I haven’t tracked how many hours I played on this particular glove, but, yes, they get worn down - especially on roundwounds :grin: I was just practicing on the 6-string and that C string finally “sliced” open that tip :sob:

I’ll see if it makes sense to play some more with this one (and really get that Scott Divine look going) or whether I need to break in a new one…

7 Likes

I vote keep going

Unless it gets painful

4 Likes

I know that Scott does wear a glove,i asked my teacher this morning and she said if you practiced too much that let your finger pain then just take a rest,don’t wear gloves because the tone will change. So I give up the idea.

4 Likes

There are other benefits to gloves then just playing too much. Much has been discussed in this thread.

Scott wears them to help with a neurological disease he has where his fingers wiggle and tremble uncontrollably, the gloves prevent this, so in his case it is medical.

It helps me with circulation and arthritic pain when I wear it, which is not all that often, but I do when necessary.

6 Likes

And I would add: I doubt that you can hear a difference in tone when playing with one of these gloves (if you play with oven mitts, yeah, OK, sure).

There might be an effect on your tone if you had a glove also on your plucking hand, but even then - if you like that particular tone, then who is to judge you!?!

5 Likes

@Eric37 If I were to have chosen by what others have said I may never have tried them. This post made me more aware of more opinions, so I tried them and I’ve recommended them to others.
Tone, not That I’ve noticed but it the glove is to big the tips could muffle the sound IDK as mine are skin tight. After I think 4 weeks I’ve noticed my fingers being less string sensitive…
Jamie
:guitar: :slight_smile: :guitar:

7 Likes