Playing with a glove (or two gloves)!?!

That’s a fine hat.

6 Likes

@brandoncmurphy: I told you this would get more abuse than a rented mule… :crazy_face:

8 Likes

@joergkutter it’s been a fun thread, that’s for sure.

4 Likes

Ya know…Flea is known to play in his underwear…so…

5 Likes

I didn’t really want to go public with this, but so do I.

Now you know.

9 Likes

:rofl:

4 Likes

Damnit, Pam! Is this your way of getting me back? :rofl:

Early in their career, all the members of RHCP played wearing only a tube sock on their man-tackle at a strip club. They started getting offers for other gigs as long as they agreed to continue dressing the same way.

7 Likes

@PamPurrs he wore underwear? I thought he was always streaking.

4 Likes

Well, if it had stripes… it probably was a tube sock!!

3 Likes

Resurrecting an old thread…

I got a new bass today, and it came with round wound strings. After being spoiled on the smoothness of flat wounds and tape wounds for several months, I had forgotten how rough and noisy round wounds are. I have a set of tape wounds on order, but I want to play my new bass now. But the strings feel like barbed wire in comparison to flats and tapes. So…
I pulled out the musician’s glove I had purchased almost a year ago, and put it on my fretting hand. It really helps with the residual string noise, and makes the roughness of the round wounds much gentler on my spoiled fingers. If I was to stay with rounds, I would definitely wear a glove on my fretting hand at all times.

9 Likes

Haha, there you go :grin:

It’s funny with strings, really. I had put half rounds on my Yamaha and I like them, but when I recently picked up the J bass again, with standard round wounds, it was like “wow, what I have I been missing!?” I guess, it comes down to using the right strings for the right jobs, and getting a lot of experience with them, how they sound, how they feel, what sounds you can get with, how you have to “handle” them (sliding vs lifting your fingers, muting, etc), …

About the feel: yes, some round wounds can be pretty “rough”. I had tried Ernie Ball Cobalts, and those were just too rough and too bright and “attack-y” for me.

It is amazing how much difference there is… another rabbit hole… deep and somewhat expensive… :crazy_face:

5 Likes

@joergkutter no not Goofy. Micky more like :rofl: I think though that the white glove was on his groin rather than on his Bass :rofl:
He is the bastard of BJ fame
The guitar glove has been the best thing for playing after Strings :crazy_face:
:guitar: :slight_smile: :guitar:

3 Likes

I will just continue to expose my self to ridicule… ah, what the heck: these are actually quite good:

5 Likes

@joergkutter I bought a black one two weeks ago. I bought a pkt of five yesterday for £26 on Amazon. I think that shows how good they are for me. The scar tissue on my fretting hand only let me do 3 minutes playing at a time. Now, no limit to the time that I can play.

4 Likes

I purchased a pair of those last year when this thread first started and found them to be quite handy when playing bass. I seldom use them, but do have them on hand when I need them.
My only complaint about those gloves is they make crappy oven mitts. I practically burned a tray of blueberry muffins when I tried to retrieve it with these Musicians Practice Gloves.

5 Likes

I’m willing to try a glove while playing but I’m going to draw the line RIGHT THERE. I refuse to step up to the complete Michael Jackson Captain Crunch uniform…

3 Likes

Ooooooouuuuuccccchhhh!!!

Gotta watch that, I feel I would do the same thing😂

I am interested to try them and see if they help with hand circulation, and even fatigue. I think they would at least a little, but not sure. I am looking at it as if they were compression socks as @Jamietashi mentioned to me.

HS anybody noticed any less fatigue, ar anybody with a fret hand that goes numb after a while, being able to go longer with blood flow, and feeling?

4 Likes

sounds like playing with a slide if that makes sense to you? speaking just for myself i worked to hard to build the callus on my fingers to lose then and have to go through that process again

3 Likes

I had a feeling you might come through, @PamPurrs :rofl:

4 Likes

The Guitar glove that I bought on the 17th of May from Amazon. @T_dub
5 Stars is what I would give for this glove. It’s excellent,
I had a router accident, I caught the wrong end of a falling router doing 30k rpm, removing my finger tips to the bone. That has left my fretting fingers extremely sensitive. I could get 3 minutes of playing time before it started getting to painful. I did at first push beyond this, however that broke the skin and they started to bleed. So super glue held them together and play gently.
With the glove I can now practice for hours, yesterday for 5 hours on and off.
There are bonuses as well @Lanny had recommended to someone that they might try a wrist guard, this does that albeit very gently. I like @joergkutter found that I could stretch my fretting fingers much further. How that works I don’t know but a nice wee bonus.
My hand has also felt my better less pain from arthritis, I was telling a couple of folk that they seem to work a lot like the pressure stocking you wear on long hall flights to prevent DVT. As a wheelchair user I wear medical compression stockings for improved circulation so I’m used to relief from them, the glove fells the same but less restrictive. They are nylon and as @PamPurrs discovered not great oven gloves :rofl: They come in at £10 in Scotland, however I just bought a pack of 5 for £25 so that’s a big saving. I would gladly pay £25 for one though. They for me are that good. I went for the black as it don’t show the dirt as badly. @Gio and look cooler than woollen mitten’s. The roundwound’s on the PJ are extremely clean. Playing wise Joerg has researched and reviewed them above.
I’ve heard complaints about them catching on the fret ends, if your bass is set up correctly you should not have sharp fret ends and if you do that’s easily remedied.
Wear wise, two weeks in and all good. I will update when they start to show wear.
Cons; petting our white Jack Russel leaves the glove looking like a weird black cactus. @howard I’ve not tried spikes on them. YET! @Jazzbass19 oddly enough I use finger-less cycle gloves on my chair, gives much more control. @rory
Any questions, just ask
:guitar: :slight_smile: :guitar:

6 Likes