Playing Your First Gig

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Ha! This was not lost on us in our college band :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I just wonder if a simple inverter powered off a leisure battery (12v caravan type) suit?

Thoughts?

2 Likes

Sorry folks. This was in reply to the question of playing outdoors in public parks etc with no power supply.

3 Likes

It’s not a bad idea actually, these kinds of things that RV’ers use to have a power supply anywhere, or to have around during a prolonged power cut. I’m guessing you could just plug a bass amp into it, and it could run for some time, wherever you were. Thanks for posting!

2 Likes

Here’s my story, for what it’s worth:
I was just about finishing the B2B course and asked my local music shop guy to recommend a teacher (which he did). He also recommended calling some fellow who organizes amateur groups. The next day I had an 11-song list, and three band (can I really call it that?) practices later, a date for a performance in a pub in my home town! Shit, it is in two weeks, and I’m just trying to convince myself to “Calm down, what the heck, it’s only music, it’s not like an airplane that can fall out of the sky.”
And who was asking about old? I’m 60 and never played an instrument before, Nah, I’m not feeling challenged… hahaha :exploding_head:

13 Likes

That sounds great, @erg! . . . :+1:

Wishing you good luck. Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

So awesome!!!

Just make sure there is plenty of chicken wire between the band and the pub crowd :grin:

2 Likes

That’s great news :+1:
So when is the date of the gig then?
What songs?

1 Like

So far away (dire straits)
Freedom (From the film Django)
One (U2)
Jolene (Dolly Parton)
Me and Bobby McGee (Janis Joplin)
Man on the moon (R.E.M.)
You oughta know (Alanis Morissette)

Some of those songs have really challenging base lines. :tired_face:

Got any tips anyone?

4 Likes

Well look at it this way, at least with You Oughta Know, you get to play something that was laid down by Flea on the album. So ya know…that’s equally awesome and terrifying!

In all seriousness though, I wouldn’t worry about it. Granted its in your home town, but unless its a real small town, no one will probably recognize you anyway. Which based on the fact that there is a system in place to organize putting amateur bands together (Which is FLIPPING AWESOME by the way) I’m guessing it isn’t a small town.

Just try and relax as much as humanly possible and enjoy it.

3 Likes

@erg I think they call this immersion. Maybe, trial by fire. But… Damn! I thought I needed this today but now I think you need it more than me. A little music related fun - #71 by PeteP

As for tips, Maybe ask you new bass teacher if it’s possible to simplify some of the bass lines so you have more time to work on some of the more complex lines. Not ideal, but that is a lot to get down in two weeks.

Good luck. This is an awesome opportunity. I will be looking forward to hearing how it goes.

3 Likes

So back to the title of this thread, my first gig is on Dec. 21st - omg, this is all happening so fast! Some real trial by fire coming up, just like @erg is going through, and any advice is appreciated as well!

Here’s the quick backstory: I responded to an ad that said this band was gonna be at the local rehearsal studio in a few days, they needed a bass player. I liked the sound of the band from their YT - a little bit Doors, a little Nirvana type of a sound. The band leader eventually emailed me back, short reply, just “ya dude, show up” or something like that. I asked about maybe some written music, chord progressions, or something, but no response. So I just showed.

Good chemistry with this group - they’re all in their 20s, and have been playing music for awhile, but didn’t care, I just acted like I was supposed to be there, and they were cool. They just told me the chord progression before playing each song, and I just figured it out, played with the riff, and with the drums (it just kind of happens, don’t ask me how). Recorded what I was doing. They’re happy, I’m happy, no one asked if I wanted to join or not, after the 2nd meeting, it’s just assumed that I’m the bass player.

The only breaks we take between playing at the studio are when they’re going across the street to the liquor store or a smoke break. Songs are rife with drug references, but they’re all likely too broke to do anything too hard. Every dollar they make goes to studio time, and they all agree, we sound f#@kin’ good! There are probably so many red flags here, and anything could happen, but, I’m bad about choosing relationships, and my first band needs to be wild n crazy like this!!

So I gotta learn about 10 songs for our show. He just booked another show in Jan., and wants me for that. This is gonna be an adventure :laughing::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Posted some of our jam sessions on Soundcloud. (recorded on my phone, so not great quality!) Gotta practice now!!

7 Likes

Well, it is rock’n’roll, right!!??!!

So stoked for you! Have a blast!!

3 Likes

Sounds like a dream come true, @Vik . . . :wink:

Cheers, Joe

2 Likes

That all sounds very rock’n’roll. Apart from feeling intimidated, I’d love to have that experience. Can’t wait to hear how it plays out.

2 Likes

Dude this is so awesome. Congrats!

2 Likes

That’s excellent Vik! Congratulations. I look forward to hearing some of your music.

1 Like

Scary cool, right? I’ll let you know if I learn any tips to share; mine first gig is December 16 :flushed:

4 Likes

Great thread!!! A lot of helpful info for most of us in similar situations. I eventually found some good fortune in this direction, so I thought would share in case it helps give others some similar ideas of how to make it happen. I started playing bass almost 2 years ago, but since I am in my late 50s, it has been more than a challenge trying to find other wanna be musicians that are somewhat in my age range, but that also have similar musical interests. I tried searching CL ads here in my area, and I also tried contacting a few music teachers in hopes of finding some guitarists or a drummer that would not mind an old bass player, stumbling through some songs. After looking at CL ads for about 6 months and really never finding anything remotely that might fit, I finally decided to take things into my own hands and put together a “project” so that at least I could stack the deck- select songs that I was interested in, and also hopefully interest others in working on some of my original ideas.

1. First thing was to locate a place to play- I found a practice rental facility in the Dallas area that rents a fully stocked room (multiple amps, PA and drum kit) for a reasonable hourly rate

2. Placed a CL, and was very upfront: Novice “old” bass player looking for other beginner or otherwise crappy players who want to get together once a month and make noise
    (I also listed a ton of artists that I like)

3. I got maybe 15 responses and most were from people that play classic rock and/or blues
    (I am more into alternative rock from the 90s and new stuff- so at my age that is a tough demographic) From that group, I was able to find a few “misfits” like myself: a vocalist that has not sang for 10 years (recovering from a major injury), a guitarist who is really good, but is probably at least 75 and only sits while playing, and a drummer that only does programming and had not been on a kit for 3 years! (so with my lack of skill and experience they are perfect)

We have met twice, our 3rd meetup is tomorrow night. (normally try to learn 2 or 3 new songs each time)

Here is a short clip from last time. (I feel like this is a safe space for sharing, so please be kind, I don’t have the best technique- and you cannot tell by my concentrating face, but I am actually having a blast!) Normally practice with headphones, but to actually plug into a big amp and rattle the walls a little bit is beyond awesome.

Good luck to everyone in a similar situation, and hope you can find some local people to start playing with!

Phil

PASSWORD: noise
https://vimeo.com/366388293

8 Likes