Playing Your First Gig

Hey all!

This came up in the Gig Stories thread, but it’s so important, and there’s so much information to share and tell and explore here - and it’s so important that I wanted to give it its own thread.

Making the move from practicing the bass at home to playing with a group (whether it’s out and about with gigs, or just a regular rehearsal [which then leads to gigs…]) is one of the most important things (to me) about playing music. It’s the part that binds us together as humans and musicians, it’s the conversation part of this language learning process, and it’s fun and challenging as hell; it’s where we learn what we need to practice next.

So -
Things that I’ve found that are great for people getting into music and the idea of bands after those luxurious college years are gone are:

• Guided Band Performance Programs.
    – these have allll kinds of manifestations. The one at my local shop was called Rock Overtime. There are School of Rock type of courses; some informal jams at local cafes - scour your local calendar and try and find these! Ask at your local music shop!
    It’s low pressure, it’s usually guided by an instructor and there’s almost always a performance at the end.
    It’s a great way to meet players, and get out there.

• Open Mics
    – these can be a bit weird as a bass player, because we are accompanists. But if you start checking out your local open mics, you might hear someone that sounds good / plays a style you like / writes cool songs. It is entirely appropriate to approach them and say (verbatim:) “Hey there, open mic person. I’m (your name here). I really like what you’re doing (the importance of this opening compliment cannot be overstated). I play bass, and if you ever want to play an open mic, I’d be super down to learn a few of your tunes and play with you. Here’s my lavishly embossed bass player card.”

• Start talking about playing bass in public places
    – bassists are rare enough, that if you are overheard just talking about playing bass, there’s a 67% chance that a guitarist in need of a bass player will hear you and try to hire you. … This is getting a bit silly, but - actually - if you let the people at work / your social circle know that you’re getting into bass playing, there are good chances of a connection being made.

There are some of my suggestions.
I have more, but this is way too long as it is.

If folks out there have had luck picking up the bass late in life and getting into some playing and performing scenarios, I’d love to hear about it. We all would!
Chime in.

23 Likes

Pure gold. This is just good info to get started, just having the terms for these things, so we can look them up locally. Like “open mic (Your city name)” on google. Or “school of rock”, other than apparently being a Jack Black comedy, is a neat idea for getting a start to performing with others, in a pretty safe setting.

The only 2 things stopping me as of now are, living a bit of a drive away from a city (though not super far - I’ve got a huge metro area somewhat closeby that I go to periodically, and would be willing to go to more for this reason). And, just needing a little more practice - but I also know now from a few months experience that bass playing is a skill that improves fairly fast, if you put in the time.

I’ll try to bump this thread as I get closer to the point of trying these things, and sharing what happened. And would love to hear other stories of newbie musicians, and their experiences.

6 Likes

Hahaha! So far that hasn’t worked for me, but hey, I live in the middle of nowhere so it’s probably expecting too much of the sheep and cows.

I think this is of interest to a significant percentage of us on (or done) the B2B course - or at least, those of us who have found our way into the forums. I suppose many people can tap into parent or work networks, but as we get older it can become more intimidating to approach a new group of people with such a challenging ambition as sitting in on their established cliques. One way to look at overcoming that (if it applies to you) is that you’ve already proven that you can do something new & intimidating just in learning the bass. How hard can it be to speak to a stranger?

6 Likes

Which was made into a terrible TV show. :frowning_face:

2 Likes

Good point, @PeteP . . . :+1:

2 Likes

It’s on! Okay, well, at least it’s getting started.

So I’ve found some open mic nights, and plan to attend 1 or 2 each week in the coming weeks. First without any gear, then later, with, if it’s a good vibe. These tend to be on weeknights, and are at places like cafes, bars/lounges, or music venues in my area. I will report on this as it unfolds, and try to post some successes and some fails too.

I’ve been told that finding musicians to play with is a lot like dating. I prefer the old school way of in-person meets, and hope the open mics, and the just going to venues to watch live music will open some doors. I’m sure there is a lot of feeling if the chemistry’s there, if the personal styles mesh, and if we’re heading in the same direction and/or even compatible, type of stuff.

In this age of online dating and apps, I decided to throw out a Craigslist ad titled “Newer Bass Player Looking for Drummer/Guitarist/Vocals for Jams, Band” this afternoon, and have already had a conversation with a dude who responded. He’s a musician that’s been around the block, but sick of the experienced musicians out there, who are too set in their ways. The guy also had some good tips about meeting Craigslist people in a public place first, and even a nice idea about playing music in a park, or public setting, so you don’t have to go to someone’s home, or use a venue that might incur costs. Something like that may require a battery powered bass amp though - does anyone here have experience with such a thing?

6 Likes

Good for you, @Vik! . . . :slight_smile:

Sounds as if you’re on your way to some new adventures . . . Wishing you lots of luck, and please keep us posted on your progress!

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

That’s awesome @Vik! I look forward to hearing how it goes.

2 Likes

Unfortunately there are many out there like that @Vik​:pensive::pensive:. Hopefully you’ll be able to connect with a few that are not so individually self indulged in order for you to have the space to build a good groove.

Good Luck, and Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

2 Likes

Or an acoustic bass guitar! I don’t know of any battery-powered amps that aren’t overpriced or crappy (like the Roland Microcube).

2 Likes

Thanks all!

Here’s a tip - if you throw out a Craigslist ad, be prepared for some responses - phone’s been getting quite a few people: a band is already trying to recruit me for gigs (no joke); a drummer looking to get back to playing looking to jam; a vocalist wanted to meet up; a long email with a ton of “advice” (which was pretty useful, actually); a guitarist that I’m meeting this Thurs. at an open mic. And I learned about this rehearsal studio in the city that rents studio space by the hour, and is actually affordable!

Who knows how any of this will play out! But nice to know I’m already part of some “community”, in a local way. I already have my bass playing community right here though, and it’s the best :heart:

7 Likes

I love it! Well done @Vik.
You started the forward momentum, and now it’s got some movement of its own.
Keep us posted, and best of everything as the adventure unfolds!!

3 Likes

Awesome, @Vik - and probably a little bit frightening as well. But, it’s the good type of adrenaline rush you should be getting here! When I bought my beginner bass, the guy in the music store said (only half-jokingly as I now realize) he was going to call me in a month or two to set me up for some gigs, as bass players are always sought after.

So, your skills are in demand! Now, you need to find a way to get started with people you feel comfortable with and in a setting that is rewarding and nurturing. Not always easy, but doable! Good luck! And, yeah, keep us posted :smile:

3 Likes

bass players are rare :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I admire you for doing this, and I’m jealous of all of you who live within easy reach of multiple venues - those of use who are more remote have a harder time of it. I wanted to just add something to the avalanche of advice about meeting folk off Craigslist (or Gumtree, or whatever your regions equivalent); it may be a good idea to arrange to meet people for the first time somewhere that you don’t like to, or intend, hang out at, just in case things don’t go well. I’m not talking about the nutters out there, just the folk that you may instantly know you don’t gel with but who may be a bit pushy or not see it the same as you. Just a thought springing from the book of blind/online dating tips.

5 Likes

I second that tip @PeteP… Can’t be too cautious out there now a days… Maybe why I too live somewhere in the middle of “Nowhere and Lost”…

Lanny

4 Likes

@Vik How did the meeting on Thursday go?

1 Like

Yeah, I put a Google voice # out there, not my real cell, then, screen texts, move it to an actual phone call, for another screening, before even setting up an in-person meet somewhere public. In some way, any musician I’ve chatted with is a bit of a nut case, but, yeah, some are in a more endearing way, while others are just unstable personality types :rofl: So, trying not to be too judgmental, while still weeding out the “this ain’t gonna work” (and, in fairness, letting them do the same with me)

I feel ya, Lanny, I live in a cabin in the woods, nice little piece of nowhere, and helps me focus on the important things in life like playin’ bass! But I used to live in the heart of the city, kept the apartment, turned it into an Airbnb. It’s vacant a lot of the nights in winter though, it’s the off season, so I can go live there some nights and take in the city and the music scene. Feelin’ grateful, although, could use the cash from the rental to keep up my wannabe musician life :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Freezing weather and snow in the Denver, CO area Thurs. cancelled the meeting, and the venue was also closed without notice too that night. Luckily didn’t haul my bass there, just walked, then walked back. But went to 2 other open mics on Tue. and Wed. night - total opposite of each other - 1st one was a bunch of full bands that were really good, 2nd one - serious amateurs, I could have held my own there, and they mixed it in with poetry slams, and comedy night, so it was an experience. Good times.

5 Likes

I love this thread. I am very excited about getting together with others and making some noise.
I put a post on a local music facebook page asking for novice musicians who want to get together and I have a great response.
We are arranging a meet up and we are going to set up a facebook group so we can arrange things etc

7 Likes

One thing I can say - Putting up your own CL/FB/etc. ad is great, as you then get to set the frame, and people come to you, rather than the other way around. Every response I’ve had, even though they’re all more experienced than me, the tone is set up for how I want to proceed. I’m jamming with a neighborhood musician on Sat., another vocalist nearby just sent almost a long resume by email. Oh yeah, that band from before sent me a bassline to learn (by ear, shit!), but it’s standard 12 bar blues in the key of C - and I can talk music fluently, thanks to B2B.

Many respondents just live far away, or are a bit flaky on follow ups. And, admittedly, I’ve been kind of lazy with practicing lately, and following up on leads, as I’m catching up with people I knew in the city.

Oh yeah, it’s wild, but women dig musicians :slightly_smiling_face: If you just look/act confident with your bass, no one really cares how new you are to it, or even if you’re that good, in a social setting. And it’s a good icebreaker too. B2B has lived up to all its promises :grin:

Can’t thank you enough @JoshFossgreen Now I know why you’re too “busy” to make a second course :rofl:

4 Likes