Plucking: Index vs. Middle

@JoshFossgreen @Gio

I’m in module one…and I am left handed playing right handed bass.

Here’s my issue. For whatever reason I have a strong inclination to lead with the middle finger. That is on ONE when my mind calls for a pluck from my right hand, it’s the middle finger that answers the call. ONE (middle), Two, THREE (index), Four, and so on. It just feels more natural to roll from 2 to 1 than 1 to 2. My left hand (which I don’t use to pluck) doesn’t seem to care which way it would pluck if I were to use it. Even on whole notes, I seem to want to use the middle finger on the right hand. I thought about it for a while, and determined that maybe it was all those years of bad “air guitar” technique – when I played “air bass guitar” it was the middle finger I was using.

Should I fight this? I this bad? Or…does it matter, so long as I am using two fingers and I get a my plucks on time. If this is bad thing, I want to definitely stop and work it out.

Thanks!

5 Likes

I do this too. I’m right handed playing a right handed bass so no complication from that.

I hadn’t noticed it to begin with but once I did I tried to correct it. I realised it was because of the angle of my hand and the length of my fingers. Not sure what josh’llsay but I found that fighting it was causing me to struggle too much and the way I plucked didn’t cause any problems.

5 Likes

I lead with my middle finger too and it hasn’t caused me any problems.

5 Likes

Sometimes I lead with my index, sometimes I lead with my middle. For me it all depends on how the song transitions with string changes. Then again, I tend to play my bass ‘somewhat’ like I play my acoustic guitars which I play finger-style using all the fingers and thumb on my right hand… I guess it all depends on what works, is most natural, and gives you the results that float your boat…

What you’ll notice in @JoshFossgreen’s course is that he will provide an alternating technique that will always set you (the student) up with a no fail transition when moving to a new string… The transition is important because you wanna make sure that you’re in the right rhythm with your plucking style so that the transition is seamless - something that will come naturally after many hours of practice.

5 Likes

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it, in fact, on some songs, like Pretty Pink Ribbon, in B2B, the suggested fingering starts with the middle finger, for that particular riff. And sounds like you’re alternating plucking, so that’s a good sign. And like @Lanny said, it can depend on how the song transitions with the string changes.

2 Likes

Don’t fight the instincts, @kwt7667! I don’t think it’s bad. As long as you’re alternating, you’re on the right track.

(get ready as I put on my bass teacher hat and cape)

However…
As with anything and everything on the bass, flexibility and adaptability are our best friends. So - I’d recommend trying to do some simple lines or fingering exercises leading with index. Just so it’s an option. Different lines might be easier (for string skipping and crossing, etc) if you begin with different fingers of the plucking hand.

5 Likes

You have a hat AND a cape? :astonished:

6 Likes

As long as it’s not ONLY a hat and a cape. :laughing:

5 Likes

That would depend on where he’s hanging his hat… :thinking:

6 Likes

That’s all that really matters, @kwt7667, and I agree with @Gio:

As time goes by, and you practice more and more, you will find what works best and what is natural for you and your playing style. . .

I have found that the less I think about what I am doing, the better I seem to actually do it.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Great advise @Jazzbass19 Joe, and so damn true!!

3 Likes

All you guys, I am so glad I asked this question. I almost didn’t. I had no idea…

@PeteP

I think you nailed it there. If I were to use three fingers, the ring finger seems most natural to lead with; it’s the angle of my knuckles with respect to the strings.

@Gio @Lanny @Vik

Thank you. I definitely alternate without thinking. And I understand that the context can and will in some instances determine the best lead finger – especially as things get more advanced.

I did force myself to go 1-2 during that exercise on the D string in module one. It sortof worked: This is how it would usually go:

Open D: 1-2
1st Fret: 1-2
Open D: 1-2
5th Fret: 2 (Dah!!!)

It’s just that first pluck; gotta be 2. I think with some work, I can unlearn that 2, but from what I gather from everybody is as long as I am alternating my plucks that’s the big thing.

6 Likes

and @PeteP - love you turkeys.

And @kwt7667 - glad you got some good feedback. Every question is worth a legit answer here!

4 Likes

Are you implying some of us don’t answer the questions seriously? :hushed:

2 Likes

+1 million!

2 Likes

Well, a day later I am finding the index finger is being more assertive. :laughing: With you saying “Index, middle, index, 4, middle…” I’d rather stick to the program.

About 15 years ago, I started learning on a keyboard instrument ( let’s just say I have friend who’s a professional accordionist!). A complex instrument and I remember running into rebellious fingers, that after a night’s sleep, would be more compliant the next day. I wasn’t perfect today, but much better. Hopefully I can swing both ways once it’s all done.

6 Likes

This makes more sense than most people realize since it takes time for the brain to build and reinforce the new neural pathways you’re teaching it.

7 Likes

Seems to be the case! This is fun!

3 Likes

Funny. My mom does the same thing. But only when she’s driving. :wink:

4 Likes

I thought a bit more after my lesson today and thinking about left vs. right handed, and thinking about learning on the accordion nearly 15 years ago.

Honestly, at least as far as I am concerned, it really doesn’t matter which way I play bass ( left or right). I never saw a left handed accordion, so I learned right handed. The biggest challenge I ever faced learning that instrument and also with the bass was getting both hands to play independently in time. For instance, back in Module 1 / Van Halen (Bass Slide lesson), everything is clicking then Josh suggests muting notes with the left hand, and then it all falls apart! Alternating plucking, keeping time, etc. Took a while to train, but I am getting better at getting the hands to work together. Left vs. Right, just doesn’t seem to matter to me. But then again, being lefty, maybe I am more ambidextrous.

3 Likes